Chuck eye steaks

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Chuck eye steaks seem to come and go at my local store, so when I saw a reasonably-priced pack awhile back I grabbed it. Encircled with bacon and accompanied by stuffed (by the store) portobello caps. Very enjoyable!

ChuckEyeSteaks20200715_1.jpg

ChuckEyeSteaks20200715_2.jpg

ChuckEyeSteaks20200715_3.jpg

ChuckEyeSteaks20200715_4.jpg

Whole plate looks good, but you did not give that broccoli the love it deserves, that char on those veggie looks perfect. How did the bacon cook up? I always worry bacon wrapped (fill in the blank) will need up as soggy bacon wrapped (fill in the blank). What is the key to getting the bacon cooker right?

Thanks, and I apologize for leaving out a few details. The caps had a crab/seafood stuffing and were pretty good, although I obviously didn't do the best job of getting them to not stick to the grate when I tried to brown the tops. The broccoli wasn't grilled this time; I blanched it first and then finished it in olive oil in a nonstick skillet. I wish my mom had known about pan-roasted broccoli when I was growing up...

I've learned that when thicker bacon is used this way it pays to par-cook it in the microwave first so that it gets done enough on the grill. This time it was fairly thin so it cooked enough on the grill alone, and I like soft, lightly cooked bacon anyway. But I also like it cooked medium and crispy as well because hey, it's bacon!;)

A buddy of mine was talking about chuck eye steaks the other day. I am not familiar with them. Are they very expensive when you can find them? Sounds like they are not always available. How do they differ from a ribeye?

A buddy of mine was talking about chuck eye steaks the other day. I am not familiar with them. Are they very expensive when you can find them? Sounds like they are not always available. How do they differ from a ribeye?

They are sometimes referred to as the "poor man's ribeye". Very similar in flavor and texture, but smaller and much less expensive. If I recall correctly, they were about $6/lb when I got them the other day. And that was at Wegman's, where beef is very expensive.

Back