Chuck Eye Steak

Andrew Gahagan

TVWBB Member
These were on sale, and looked somewhat decent, so I bought three of em.

What do these call for? I typically don't marinade steaks, but as these are a somewhat cheaper cut, I think it might be necessary. Do they need any other sort of tenderizing?

Andrew,
If they truly are chuck eye steaks, ie well marbled, just cook them the way you would a ribeye.
I only say if, because several have purchased what they thought were chuck eyes, and they were not.
Search the Photo Gallery for many cooks with them by Jim Lampe, myself, and others.

edit to add, here's a pic of some I prepared to grll.
The chuck eyes are far right, and bottom center.
If they look like that, you're good to go.

IMGP3810.JPG

Last edited:
Chuck eye steaks have become one of our family's absolute favorite cuts. Easy on the wallet and great on taste. Just keep this to yourself or the prices will start going through the roof like they have for tri tip and skirt steaks. As Bob said, treat them like a rib eye and they will be great.

Same with us !! We now almost exclusively buy chuck eyes. They are supremely tender, well marbled, and taste fantastic. Because of the price (in my area, 3.99 to 4.99/lbs) I've done them with just salt and pepper, marinade, and various seasonings, I don't feel guilty. They are so awesome !! And if you get your grill jet engine hot you can put a fantastic crust on the outside. Sometimes as a bonus you can find extra thick cuts which is what I search out for.

I understand that tri tip has limited avaiability and increased popularity, but why skirt steaks? A chuckeye done the right way could be better than poor mans ribeye.
Chuck eye steaks have become one of our family's absolute favorite cuts. Easy on the wallet and great on taste. Just keep this to yourself or the prices will start going through the roof like they have for tri tip and skirt steaks. As Bob said, treat them like a rib eye and they will be great.

So uh....these were awful! No one else buy them!!! Keep the price low!

Actually, they were FANTASTIC. I ended up marinading them in Stubbs Beef Marinade over night, took them out at lunch and rubbed them with Stubbs Beef Rub. Turned out awesome! I have been obsessed with rubs/marinades lately so I have used them on everything I cook.

next time you don't buy them, try just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder on them... when you don't buy the again.

the simple-ness will AMAZE you.

The local butcher I see regularly says chuck eyes are not as available as most shops do not get many of them from there cuts. The actual Chuck Eyes are the last cuts right next to what would start the rib eye's and it is not a big piece of meat, hence limited availability. Often times I can get him to cut me four or five and that is all he can do.
I do love them.

I started buying chuck eyes reduced for quick sale at walmart because no one knew how good they were, had twenty in the freezer at one time, but now it's hard to find them in the case. Salt & pepper, rare to medium rare and some horseradish sauce. At least once a week at our house.

Chuck eyes are delish, another cheap delish steak is the Top Blade Steak gives chuck eyes a run for the money.

Ever since I started seeing Mr Lampe cooking these beauties i've been scouring the local meat shops for them. Have yet to see them available.

I just got back from Wal Mart. And Bob C. knows right where this one is located and purchased chuck eyes. Tonight is the night I join the pantheon of grilling gods and cook chuck eyes.

My wife brought some chuck eyes home from the grocery the other day. They were a couple of the best steaks we have had in many a moon. They were reasonably priced, were labeled choice but were marbled close to prime. They had tremendous flavor. I just used Montreal Steak Seasoning and grilled over a hot fire on the OTG.

Like money in the bank, they were!! We'll be doing these again and again!

Dale53:wsm:

I've got to try these, have to be much better then a regular chuck steak by the way everyone talks about them. I tried regular chuck steak and it had the tenderness and flavor of a retread that fell off a semi truck tire.

Back