Christmas Smoke

Bill Farmer

TVWBB Super Fan
What is everyone smoking for Christmas? I am doing a beef tenderloin in the smoker with a quick sear at the end on the grill.

What is everyone smoking for Christmas? I am doing a beef tenderloin in the smoker with a quick sear at the end on the grill.

I'm doing a pre-cooked half whole ham. They're great in the smoker. I've always done these in my propane smoker but this Christmas I'm going try smoking it in the OTG using the minion method.

The nice thing about the pre-cooked hams is that they are really easy to smoke. All you're doing is basically warming them up to serving temp. Pretty much stress free.

A whole bnls pork loin cut in two, one half will be prepared using the Almond crusted recipe
from Joy and the other half will get a Apple Thyme marinade and both will be done on the WSM.:wsm:

Also doing Lasagna, Kugela, Green Bean casserole and a Corn & Broccoli casserole.

Tim

My original plan was for ham (Alton Brown's "City Ham" recipe) and a turkey breast. Turns out turkey breasts are next to impossible to find in our area this time of year, so I decided on a whole bird and grabbed a 12 pound Butterball.

I want to cook them both on the WSM, so I'm going to get it up to 325 and give the bird an hour's head start on the lower grate before putting the ham (in a roasting pan) on the top grate. I'm probably going to put some ginger ale in with the ham to keep it from drying out (AB's recipe calls for a much lower warming temp). And I might end up transferring the ham to the gasser (it'll already be going for some roasted Brussels sprouts) to set the glaze since I probably won't have time to fiddle with the WSM to get the temp spike necessary to do that.

These.
sJBFMuE.jpg

I am visiting family in the chicago area so will not be in charge of cooking. Merry Christmas to all!

We're having Osso Buco (Veal) on Christmas day. It's a tradition here. But I have the next two weeks off from work, so I'm sure I'll smoke a thing or two. :)

Last edited:
I'll be doing some smoking the next couple of days. For Christmas we won't be doing any outdoor cooking, weather here is going to cold rainy and very windy. Barb and I decided to cook the turkey in the oven so we can have that wonderful aroma wafting through the house, driving me and the pups nuts.
But at least I'll be warm and dry.
Merry Christmas.

No smoking here...Diane is making us a traditional Czechoslovakian dinner of pork and dumplings, sauerkraut, etc., and she already made me a hoska (Bohemian Christmas bread). I am so lucky my Mom taught Diane how to make these essential Czech recipes, and Diane learned them VERY WELL!!

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to all!!

Last edited:
I'll be doing some smoking the next couple of days. For Christmas we won't be doing any outdoor cooking, weather here is going to cold rainy and very windy. Barb and I decided to cook the turkey in the oven so we can have that wonderful aroma wafting through the house, driving me and the pups nuts.
But at least I'll be warm and dry.
Merry Christmas.

Man, Mother Nature is just all out of whack this year. Cold and rainy in Arizona, warm (~70-75 degrees) and sunny in Philadelphia. It'll be nice (although a bit odd) to not have to bundle up to tend to the smoker & grills.

Back