Christmas short ribs

Clay Neubauer

TVWBB Pro
Well, for some reason after all the lurking I've done and registering here ages ago, I never have indulged the photo hobby. So I'll give it a shot. Might have something to do with all the long hours during harvest.

Plowmansbharvest2012.jpg

So after all that hard work and basically only having time for leftover BBQ, decided to interrogate the freezer for something different to make Christmas dinner, and found these. There are certain advantages to being a farmer and having a great local butcher....

shortribsxmas-1.JPG

Thanks to finding blackberries on sale and remembering a superb recipe from the Pioneer Woman, decided to get some Mason jars out the night before and make dessert. And a Mason jar reserved for yuletide cheer, funny how that one jar keeps following me around.

yuletidecheer-1.JPG

Dessert finished up and ready to go in the fridge and chill overnight.

berries-1.JPG

A balmy 16 degrees out, but the WSM seems to have worked some magic regardless.

ribssmokin-1.JPG

I suppose we should sacrifice one dead soldier just to make sure they are fit for use.

deadsoldier-1.JPG

Last carrots from the garden, onions, and ginger simmering in a hot tub of homemade broth from the Thanksgiving WSM smoked turkey, thanks Guy Fieri for ginger/carrot soup recipe!

carrotsoup-1.JPG

Mom can't barbecue, but she makes some mean homemade noodles to top the mashed taters.

noodles-1.JPG

Scratch made butternut squash rolls out of oven, and I'm hungry. Sorry sports fans but this was the last point at which I had enough hands to carry a DSLR camera.

xmasplate-1.JPG

Guess there's nothing left to do now but settle in for the winter. In thanks for all the ideas and advice I've picked up from this page, Merry Christmas and I hope you all have a prosperous new year!

duckpondmoonhdr%20_Large_.jpg

Last edited:
And BTW, when the pets too interested in what is going on,

KA1-1.JPG

a strategically placed drop of whipping cream is good to occupy them for quite a while :confused:

cheyennecream-1.JPG

Looks great! Merry Christmas! Are you near Clarion IA? I have a friend that has a farm there.

*edit: nevermind I just answered that question with Google maps. 3hours and 12 minutes... :)

Last edited:
Yeah, Clarion is a pretty good haul, but actually my grandpa was born very close to there, in the Buckeye area. He ended up here instead when he came home after the war.

That's quite a Christmas meal. And the quality of the pictures... wow! My mouth is watering looking at that plate of food, and lunch is still two hours away.

And that last picture from your original post is amazing. Thank you for sharing, and hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Ah, I see...or don't I? I see someone else moved their pics after posting. I've made this same mistake quite a few times myself. I think I can imagine the butternut squash and homemade noodles and... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll be back around. I first actually registered here and posted a time or two right before the forum changed a few months back, and that was about the same time we got busy enough that I never felt like learning how to throw pics up on another new place. It's a little trickier to get stuff out of ImageEvent than a couple other places I go. Got it figured out now!

Excellent looking meal as well as the pictures. That first shot in the field is awesome. Well done, Clay!

Back