Christmas Cookies

French cookies are also called "Belgi Galettes"

Ingredients:
Brown sugar
butter
eggs
vanilla
AP flour

roll into a 1" balls & place in the galette iron, which is in the bottom left corner of the picture.

Hi,

Anyone making Christmas cookies this year? If so, what kind? DH made Midnight Crackles the other day. Pretty good, made with bittersweet chocolate and cocoa. Trying to figure out what to make next. So many different types. Sorry, I haven't come across any that say "cook on the grill". lol
My wife makes snickerdoodles, chocolate chip, peanut butter, a couple kinds of fudge and cashew brittle. I'll be smoking a pound of sliced bacon Thursday, and if I ask nice, she'll make some bacon/cashew brittle. This is the first year she's not giving goodie boxes out to the neighbors, kids and grandkids. She's having a hard time getting around, so giving up a few things that require better mobility.

Bob, please tell your wife I sure understand how she feels. It is still hard for me to leave everything for DH to do.

1640053180875.png
The first ones of the season. They are Chocolate-Orange Crackles (the orange is Grand Marnier, I can see why DH picked this one to start with lol)
I know it is late and close to bedtime, but I ate 2 of them. They are soooo good.

Bob, please tell your wife I sure understand how she feels. It is still hard for me to leave everything for DH to do.
She thanks you

She brought something new to the mix this year. Mincemeat cookies, done with homemade mincemeat that's been regularly dosed with Jameson's Irish over the past almost year. Love my mincemeat!

Up early and made the sugar cookies this morning.
Joan, Ennis cookies are what a lot of people call “Toffee squares”. The recipe was given to my family by a parishioner where my Dad was curate. Her name was Mrs. Ennis, hence the name.

It's that time of year again. And all the cooking magazines I have received are just loaded with Christmas cookies. As if there are not enough cookie recipes to make just here alone. :giggle:

For the first 10 years of our marriage Barb would come home from work and bake cookies for Christmas. I was a supervisor with a crew of 20 people spread out over seven different offices. I would take trays of cookies and her pumpkin bread to my crews. She did the same for her workers.
Every year she made at least 100 dozen cookies for our family, friends and workers.
But now into her mid 70s with arthritic knees she no longer does that and there is no real reason to do so, yes, I do miss it, but she still makes a dozen or so loafs of her pumpkin bread.

1670175927976.png
These look good and sound very easy to make.

Half-and Halfs

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups milk chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
2. Beat butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, and at a time and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture.
3. Divide dough equally among two bowls. To one dough add cocoa powder and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; stir to combine. To each dough, fold in 1 cup chocolate chips.
4. Scoop 1 1/2 TB. portions of each dough. Cut each portion in half, then press one plain half together with one chocolate half. Arrange on ungreased baking sheets, spacing about 2" apart.
5. Bake until lightly brown around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months. Makes 20 cookies

Source: Allrecipes mag. Dec/Jan. 2023 - submitted by - Lindsay

I have been rounding up all my cookie recipes, like every day cookies, Christmas cookies, chocolate cookies, and there are hundreds and hundreds of recipes. So what do I do? I made the mistake of checking out cookie recipes that we have already made and found this. Yes, I asked DH to make them again for me. o_O

First made these 9 years ago.

Dark-Chocolate-Ginger Crinkle

1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
1 cup confectioners' sugar

1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate over medium heat, stirring until smooth, let cool for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F; line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk the eggs into the butter mixture, then stir into the dry ingredients until incorporated, stir in the ginger and chocolate chips.
3. Place the confectioners' sugar in a wide bowl. Shape half of the dough into 1" balls, then coat with the confectioners' sugar. Place the cookies abut 2" apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake, switching and rotating the pans after about 10 minutes until the cookies puff and crack, 14 to 17 minutes total. Let cool for a minute before transferring to racks to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining half of the dough. Makes 3 dozen

Source: Rachael Ray mag.

Will anyone else be making Christmas cookies this year? If so, do you have a favorite?

I always make these.

I think these cookies are best eaten warm, freshly baked, and will typically cook only a few save remaining dough for another day.

1670426338126.png

Last edited:
Dan, my favorite type of cookie. Thanks for the picture, I'm sure that is how my cookies looked. ;)

MEXICAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES

3 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
6 oz. pitted dates, cut fine (about 1 1/8 cups)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 TB. milk
1 tsp. baking soda

1. Mix flour, salt and spices; add dates and nuts and mix. Cream butter, add sugar, gradually and cream until fluffy. Add well beaten eggs and mix. Add milk in which soda has been dissolved and mix well. Add flour mixture gradually and mix.
2. Form dough into rolls, about 2" in diameter, wrap in waxed paper and freeze or chill thoroughly in refrigerator. Slice thin and bake on ungreased baking sheets in preheated 375F oven about 12 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen

Source: "Cookies By Bess" Bess Hoffman - 1980

I wish I had seen this when I first started this thread. I have been looking through a bunch of "BH&G Christmas Cookies" mag. from the '90's. This is what the editor said in one of them.

"Several years ago when we were preparing the first issue of Christmas Cookies, staff members sat around the kitchen in the
BH&G Test Kitchen discussing what made a cookie a Christmas cookie. Sugar-cookie and gingerbread cutouts, it was agreed, were definitely Christmas cookies. But what about brownies and shortbread and macaroons and date pinwheels and.................Fortunately, before we had wasted too much time applying theoretical labels to favorite cookie recipes, common sense took over. It's simple; A Christmas cookie is any recipe that our families and friends enjoy at holiday time".

Casserole cookies

I really should make a batch, it's been several years since I made these. VERY high sugar, and I need to be very very careful about munching on them. They are quite a bit different to make, in that you bake a batter BEFORE you form the end result. Pro tip: bake these in a glass pan with a flat bottom so they bake in a sheet. Mom always used to just bake them in a bowl, and the rather uneven shape led to not quite consistent baking throughout.

Back