Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder injection and rub

Chris Lilly doesn't mop or spritz pork shoulder, and if the pork is cooked right you don't need to add any sauce when pulling either. Have a red or lexington sauce on the table for guests to add, but the only thing I know of that Chris Lilly would typically add when pulling or chopping the pork is this:

Big Bob Gibson BBQ Vinegar Sop Mop

6.5 cups distilled colored vinegar (or white)
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
2 TB salt
3 slices lemon

Mix well at least 24 hr. ahead of time and you can keep it in a jar at room temp for two weeks according to Chris Lilly.

We just put it in the fridge though. After pulling, douse sparingly on the pork like you're adding a little hot sauce. Put on the table for guests to add more as desired, and suggest to your non-chile heads that they not shake the jar up first... and use sparingly.
icon_wink.gif

If my pork turns out as desired, I might not even taste my red sauce on the pork. The Big Bob sop is fantastic...and don't use APPLE CIDER vinegar!

Dave, am I reading that right- a half cup of cayenne? I am not sure my intestines would ever forgive me.

thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by Mark Combs:
A half cup of cayenne?
Yes, it's correct and the mop is meant to be used very judiciously.

If you take a look at his book Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book on Amazon and click under the book cover photo "Search inside this book", you can navigate to the actual recipe on page 222 and see for yourself.

Regards,
Chris

thanks Chris. I realized after I made the post that I actually have the book and should have looked at it before I posted.

I have not made that one as of yet, but certainly going to have to try it here in the near future.

thanks,

Mark

Chris, thanks for answering that. I'd encourage anyone to try the stuff unless they're just unusually spice-shy. The cayenne adds something without compromising the flavor of pork, and Big Bob Gibson had great taste in preferring white to apple cider vinegar.

I still don't see a need to inject butt that is going to be pulled (or chopped). It certainly doesn'r need the moisture. Any flavoring(s) can be added during pulling/chopping; easier, and it allows for better control. Still, if you want to inject, fine, but make you injection flavorful.

Kevin-what would you suggest as a flavorful injection for a butt that will be sliced?

I tend to base this sort of thing (or what I decide to do for a rub) on whatever the sides will be.

Generally I go with aromatic-based, with fairly hefty herb components then spice(s) to finish it off.

Do you have a plan for the meal in mind?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I tend to base this sort of thing (or what I decide to do for a rub) on whatever the sides will be.

Generally I go with aromatic-based, with fairly hefty herb components then spice(s) to finish it off.

Do you have a plan for the meal in mind?
Nothing fancy - southern peas, scalloped potatoes, slaw, sandwich rolls, and cornbread will probably be the sides. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe something apple based, with a little citrus; onion with a little ginger; sage, thyme, a little bay; peppercorn.

Originally posted by Alan F:
Not sure if this was already posted, but the rub recipe is off a few quantities.

You should probably explain what you mean (I don't know what you mean).

Originally posted by Alan F:
Not sure if this was already posted, but the rub recipe is off a few quantities.

All I know is that the paprika is halved and the chili powder is more than doubled in the recipe that's in Lilly's BBG BBQ book. I still don't understand why the rub recipe in the book is only 1/8th the quantity of the rub recipe posted here and elsewhere, though.
icon_confused.gif

I tried this recipe on the 4th just as it was posted by Keri and you should know this was my first time cooking a pork butt.

Ever wonder what it would feel like if you hit a game winning home run in the bottom of the 9th in the 7th game of the World Series. Cook this and you will know.

It's out of the park and your going to Disneyland
icon_smile.gif
)

For those that think the injection is too salty, try kosher instead of table salt or simply cut the salt back a bit since table salt is cheaper and dissolves quicker. On another note, add 2 TB lemon juice. Even though it's not published, that's what Chris Lilly has been teaching in his classes. I recently saw that posted somewhere and sure enough, had it confirmed on youtube. My last pork butts were with the added lemon juice and 1/4 cup kosher. Some of the best BBQ I've ever made, and my sister described it as "AWESOME"!

I have two butts going on my wsm with this recipe right now, it is hopefully truly going to be a GOOD Friday! First time trying this. From what I have read and know about myself (i don't like things too salty) I omitted the 1/3cup regular salt and just went with the garlic salt, and a bit shy of what the injection called for. Hopefully it turns out well!

I have two butts going on my wsm with this recipe right now, it is hopefully truly going to be a GOOD Friday! First time trying this. From what I have read and know about myself (i don't like things too salty) I omitted the 1/3cup regular salt and just went with the garlic salt, and a bit shy of what the injection called for. Hopefully it turns out well!

Well, how'd it come out???

Second question - Anyone have any thought on what wood chunks would mathc up well with this rub profile? I know that's a more personal taste kind of thing, but I wonder what Chris might have used?

Second question - Anyone have any thought on what wood chunks would mathc up well with this rub profile? I know that's a more personal taste kind of thing, but I wonder what Chris might have used?

According to his book and from what I've heard him say on shows, Pignut hickory is his favorite for pork shoulder, hands down. However, we have a lot of Shagbark hickory around here and it's a really good one, as well.

Well, how'd it come out???

They came out pretty well. Flavor was good but not anything to really write home about, and they were a little dried out. I pulled them when the probes were 195F or so thinking I'd be golden, but not so. I may try the foiling method or a lower temp next time..I cooked at 250.

Back