Choucroute Garnie

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I like to go all out for my nephew's b-day since he loves to eat, and it's always at a camp with grills and fires and stuff. Now that he's 12, and knows what he likes, we can negotiate terms of the meal. This year we agreed on choucroute garnie.

I started by brining a sweet little frenched rack of pork that I found at Restuarant Depot. I went with an equilibrium brine that had juniper, ginger, cinnamon, and citrus in it. I think I'm sold on equilibrium brining now that I know a little bit more about it.
IMG_0236.JPG

after 6 days in the brine and a day to dry, I smoked it hard for close to 5 hours, taking it to 140* before icing it down for the trip to the lake.
IMG_0646.JPG

a little warm up of German beer and a combo of liverwurst, limburger,and pickled onion on rye.
IMG_1131.JPG

prior to the party, I also cooked a hunk of pork belly, in my sous vide tank, and braised it a touch more in the bed of sauerkraut that would form the base of the dish. Once the belly was cooked through, I crisped it up on the kettle.
IMG_1135.JPG

the cured and smoked rack of pork was split into chops and given a few grill marks.
IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

the finished dish was a combo of sauerkraut braised with riesling, braised belly, smoked chops, and two kinds of sausage from a local shop (smoked Bavarian bratwurst, and weisswurst). Wait...is that someone trying to steal a piece of belly before I take a picture?
IMG_1145.JPG

ok...that's better
IMG_1146.JPG

J as usual you have surpassed yourself. That platter looks fantastic. You have one lucky nephew.

I am now off to google equilibrium brining.

thanks everybody! I wish you all could have help yourself to some, it was pretty epic

I am now off to google equilibrium brining.

I didn't have time to include links when I originally wrote the post. I haven't be able to find much info online, let me know if you find anything.

here's what I wrote about it:

equilibrium brining

Excellent.

Your posts are always an education.

When you say smoked heavily how much wood and what type did you use? Anything special or mods to the Choucroute Garnie recipe itself?

How long/temp did you SV the belly?

Spectacular.

Appreciated the tip on equilibrium brining too.

Jeff, i gotta say, you do EVERYTHING simply FANTASTIC!
Honestly, I L?VE that you INCLUDE the cooking process and not just plated pics... This IS, after all, a BBQ/GRILLIN' website.
AMAZING photos bring the food RIGHT HERE!
Wait...is that someone trying to steal a piece of belly before I take a picture?
Yes! Just Reach In And TAKE ONE!!

IMO, Jeff, this may be your finest post yet!

When you say smoked heavily how much wood and what type did you use? Anything special or mods to the Choucroute Garnie recipe itself?

How long/temp did you SV the belly?

I was using pecan, hickory, and apple. I probably threw a small handful of chips on every half hour. I only let the loin dry for 24 hours and it ended up really moist during the first few hours. It could have been condensation since it was very cold when it went on and I was running with a full water pan. Regardless, it picked up some creosote, so I need to try to be more careful in the future.

the belly ran for 8 hours at 170*. The lean wasn't quite tender, but it was easy to work with (in other words, it didn't fall apart) and the fat and skin were meltly tender. I sliced right through the skin like it wasn't even there.

IMO, Jeff, this may be your finest post yet!

thanks Jim. The great part is I still have lots to learn and the sky is the limit
icon_biggrin.gif

That nephew is one lucky son of a gun. As Benash says, Your posts are always an education. And we appreciate it.
BTW, This looks like the ultimate birthday cake to me.
IMG_1146.JPG

Anything special or mods to the Choucroute Garnie recipe itself?

I went with Anthony Bourdain's recipe out of his Les Halles Cookbook. I braised the kraut for and hour and used it to warm the belly and sausages.

The dish is traditionally served with boiled potatoes, but my wife wanted to make potato pancakes and I wasn't going to complain.

For more info on choucroute garnie, I recommend Steingarten's piece in one of his books (I can find it easily enough if anyone is interested). Basically, he drives around Alsace eating something like 8 platters of this stuff in 2 days looking for the essential recipe,

Back