Choices

Forgot to post this photo of one of the Harley-Davidson sausages. Now the Official Sausage of H-D Owners everywhere! :)

IMG_30541_zps174c925f.jpg

Chris,
back to your original post - more and more I choose not to choose.
Instead, do things like buy a basic sauce like open spit and tweak it, or do a basic steven raichlen (sp?) rub recipe and tweak that also, or just go with salt and pepper.

but it is interesting to see the expanding list of corporate entities who marketeers think they can extend their 'brand' to include sauces and sausages, you are way correct there.

I like having plenty of choices... I bought the guy fiery brand and they are actually good. Plus they were on sale. Bbq sauces, marinades I get what's on sale of course if I don't like it gets tossed out.

One thing I didn't mention is why is it that every time I find something I like being food or other things they quit making it. Kind of seems most products today have a short life span. Maybe because of all the choices not many products can hold on to the market share before their buyers move on to the next new thing.

One thing I didn't mention is why is it that every time I find something I like being food or other things they quit making it. Kind of seems most products today have a short life span. Maybe because of all the choices not many products can hold on to the market share before their buyers move on to the next new thing.
+1 on that! One of the few sauces that I used to love was a sweet hot chili sauce called "ABC Tropical Sauce" (by Heinz' ABC division). I tried contacting the distrubtor to mail order a case and nothing. :(

I like choices, esp in the craft beer aisle, but I get what Mr A is sayin. Take the salad dressing aisle, I love to use Italian dressing as a marinade for chicken/steaks and walking down that aisle is a trip, and don't even go down to the mayo section.
Like that one Vodka commercial said, you can have all the fancy artwork, frosted bottles, gimmicky names, but in reality all you need is the basics.

Tim

I remember about 8 years ago, the Weber stuff was just bought by the marketing people. They were made by some outfit in Nashville. It was the same sorta place that could reverse engineer the ingredients and be able to create the recipe. It was pretty much "well.. we better get in this game, we need one for steak, burgers, chicken, fish..."

However, NONE of them went through R&D or any in-house taste testing as far as I remember. It's not like they offered packets or seasoning to everyone and asked "hey.. take this home and try it out." If they did, I do not think it was extensive. Perhaps they did some customer taste tests where the manufacturer was unknown to the person in the survey.

George Stephen's favorite marinade was Wish Bone Italian Dressing.

About the original post by Chris...

I live in Chicago. Within a 10 minute radius of stores where I can buy gorceries: I have Jewel (an old grocery store chain), Meijer, Target, Tony's Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreens, independents, Mariano's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and a few others. Just picking a STORE is crazy.

I tend to just go to Jewel as it's closest and easiest. I don't have time to chase around. Then I tend to buy what I always buy. I know I can tweak it if I want. But there's nothing worse then spending a couple bucks on something that is subpar, sits in your fridge until you decide to pitch it.

I tend to get Open Pit original for something tangy. Sometimes Sweet Baby Ray's (who have restaurants and outlet stores here too.) for the sweet side. I'll make my own hot wing sauce based off a Hooter's type recipe. Once in a while I'll make a mustard sauce. I can't find Cattlemen's around here anymore. Once in a while I'll look if I remember. But even that, I don't order it special or anything.

lea and perrins on red meat.. ALWAYS.

For meats, I have a butcher around the corner. We have Vienna for hot dogs.. The ONLY one to make a true Chicago hot dog. There are also a few long standing sausage companies around here too. Johnsonville is a good all around brand. Hillshire farm too.

As we all know, it's marketing. The H-D brand name, stuff like that. But relatively, there are only a few manufacturers of products. Find one and put your name on it.

Back