Chinese style St Lou ribs

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
I cut two racks St Lou’s into individual ribs. Whipped up a basic Chinese spare rib style sauce (without honey, which I’ll dress on at the end) and placed them on the WSK with a low and slow light in the CBs (just lit one corner of each CB for a slower burn).

1727649932023.jpeg

Figuring I can save a bunch of time and get more caramelization on each rib for more flavor.

I’ll let you know if this was a good idea or not in a few hours.

well I trust your judgement via a review, however part of me thinks that the protein will cook with more flavor, etc. when kept in tact.

Looks really good, Brett! If you care to try Asian themed ribs again, I highly recommend the Ginger Mahogany ribs recipe shared with us by none other than Jim Minion back in 2001..... My Version Here

Yours were faster....

R

Looks really good, Brett! If you care to try Asian themed ribs again, I highly recommend the Ginger Mahogany ribs recipe shared with us by none other than Jim Minion back in 2001..... My Version Here

Yours were faster....

R
That’s a whole lotta ingredients!

I kept is simple.

For the ribs once sliced:
Black pepper
Gran garlic
Gran onion
5 spice powder
Cinnamon
Ground ginger
Ground mustard powder
Hoisin sauce
Oyster sauce
Sugar - we use raw unprocessed sugar
Avo oil

Mix all ingredients and toss onto the ribs. Cook indirectly at 250-275 for 90 minutes, or until the color is set.

Then wrap in heavy foil and add in 1:4 water to honey. Water needs to be warm to dissolve the honey. Then pour the honey mixture over the ribs and cover and heat through, around 40-45 minutes.

Then remove each rib while dipping the rib in the honey juiced and mark up the ribs over direct heat.

Be careful not to burn the honey coated ribs. They will become charbon quickly if left unattended.

Plate and serve. Five adults ate two full St Lou racks tonight. Zero leftovers. Yay!

Last edited:
well I trust your judgement via a review, however part of me thinks that the protein will cook with more flavor, etc. when kept in tact.
Classic Chinese spare ribs are cooked in a hanging locker/smoker but without smoke. And some restaurants will deep fry their spares.

I was seeing a texture close to what a Chinese restaurant serves. I think these are pretty close for home bbq.

I only used JD. No wood chunks so no enhanced smoke.

After the crutch cook, these were slightly more tender than bite tender and weren’t fall off the bone.

So the ribs had a nice bite and chew with a grilled texture. The fat was nicely rendered and I did zero prep trim. And I left the rib paper back on them.

Really good depth of flavor. Nice balance of salty and sweet. My fam did say these were better than dry rub ribs. Which could mean my dry rub ribs are less than great, or they really like the Chinese profile I put on these.

I’ll definitely do these again with this recipe and method. Very easy and feeds a large crowd with minimal effort.

I did that cook and I didn't get that success. Nice ribs my friend
what were your cooking temps? i really locked down the WSK to maintain that 275F range as i was concerned about too much heat too fast would dry the ribs out. the crutch at 90 minutes really brought these to success. the honey water moisture inside the foil, all sealed up, and that additional 45 minutes in the foil got the render to a good point and kept the ribs moist.

then the baste in the honey water and quick sear for charbon was the final flavor profile.

literally, not a rib leftover from two racks and five adults. i'm pretty sure you can replicate this method and get the same results. give it a shot next time.

Back