Chinese char siu/grilled pork and noodle soup

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hey all. I've been enjoying everyone's posts here, even if I don't post comments. A lot of you are living the good life!

Last night I started off marinating 2 lb of pork loin (cut in 3/8-1/2 inch slices) in a homemade char siu marinade overnight. The secret ingredient for authentic flavor is fermented red tofu.

IMG_2750_zps6f452767.jpg

At noon today I made the stock for the soup using pork bones, chicken carcass, carrots, celery, pan-roasted garlic, onion, scallions, ginger, black peppercorns. Simmered for three hours, drained out the solids and surface fat and added a little miso and soy for flavor, salt and white pepper to taste.

IMG_2754_zpsa217d71f.jpg

While that simmered, I grilled the char siu. I usually use pork butt, but the loin came out great. Tender too.

FullSizeRender_zpsc03d8b3b.jpg

Finished the broth with dried and fresh shiitake mushrooms and served with wonton noodles, watercress, Fuzhou fish meatballs, fried fishballs, bunashimeiji (beech) mushrooms and the sliced char siu. A one-bowl dinner. Tasty on a chilly evening too.

IMG_2764_zps3b9d1321.jpg

Make your own Chinese char siu (recipe courtesy of Ken Hom):
2 lb pork butt, in 3/4 inch slices or strips
marinade:
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp brown bean sauce
1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp mashed red tofu
1 tsp five-spice powder

Marinate the pork for 24 hours, then grill on medium heat until well done, basting with a 1 to 1 honey>water mixture. Be careful not to burn the pork. When done, slice pork to serve, or use in a stir fry with veggies.

that's one heck of a stock! I can't even wrap my head around this recipe but I know it's fantastic.

All's quiet from Gary for a while, then 'BAM!!'. Another outstanding cook. Very well done!

Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water........WHOOSH!

Super cook G.

Never get outa the boat.....

Last edited:
Gary, I've been taking the easy way out when making char siu by buying pre-made sauce from the Asian market.
Looks as if I have no more excuses as yours looks great. Thanks for the recipe and the impetus!

that's one heck of a stock! I can't even wrap my head around this recipe but I know it's fantastic.

I'm with Clint here. This looks incredible, and FULL of flavor, but the recipe and flavor profile is so far outside my experince. I love the variety and knowledge on this site!

Back