Chile Colorado, and stuff

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I never got off my chile colorado kick, I just stopped posting the cooks here, 'cuz it seemed like I was in a bit of a rut! :)

Well, it's back, folks! Chile Colorado in the Instant pot (seeded chiles, onion, cumin, oregano, and broth....10 minutes, then blend), you should end up with this:

49906997553_b56a16abf8_c.jpg

This one had a bit of a kick to it, so I dosed with a bit more sugar than usual to try to round it out, then popped it in the fridge to mellow out a bit. Since it was still morning at this point, I had a few other projects going on...... Trimmed up a brisket and pork butt, and ran them through my grinder (oh, man, do I like this grinder.....22 lbs of meat was like child's play!)

Brisket left, pork butt right:

49906997513_847feca3fd_c.jpg

I ran both of these through one more time (brisket on coarse plate, pork on fine plate), and will use them for various things (burgers, sausage, meatballs, pasta sauce, etc.)

Made some bread:

49905448038_163befbd84_c.jpg

Playing around with some decorative scoring with the bread lame I made (Covid boredom.....) Dinner time did come around eventually. I butterflied (spatchcock, if you prefer) a chicken, dusted with Dizzy Dust, and got it on the 26'er, indirect at about 425F:

49907812237_a49942f627_c.jpg

I rotated the grate about every 10 minutes and after 30 we had:

49907812167_fbe8492408_c.jpg

Time to sauce the cook with a whiskey sour:

49906997608_91d9a1dcd3_c.jpg

After about 55 minutes, the bird was done:

49906997313_d453dd8626_c.jpg

I rested the chicken for a bit, then got it dissected. I built a burrito bowl with some yellow rice (turmeric, cumin, onion powder, pilaf method), chicken, chile colorado and cheese:

49907812012_2506750892_c.jpg

A busy, but very productive day. I am now on cocktail number three, so any further comments should be taken with a large grain of salt! :)

Thanks for stopping by!

R

Last edited:
Wow, Rich! That bird looks good enough to eat...er, why, yes! I'll take some with the burrito bowl fixin's, please. :D

My favorite protien was treated quite nice by you, my friend. Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Quite the busy Sunday you had, Ricardo!

Y'know, looking at the shot of the ground brisket and the ground pork, I can't help but wonder what kind of a burger they'd make together...

What the heck do you do in your spare time?!?! Man I got tired just looking at your post. Amazing work Rich. Really like the looks of that instant pot Chili Colorado sauce, do you have a recipe for that?

Rich, you out did yourself on this cook day. Everything looks so delicious. That bread is to die for, awesome job.

Quite the busy Sunday you had, Ricardo!

Y'know, looking at the shot of the ground brisket and the ground pork, I can't help but wonder what kind of a burger they'd make together...
I had the same thought burgers and meatballs with a mix of those two meats sound really really good.

I can tell you from experience that they make great burgers that way! I do prefer 100% brisket (or mix of brisket and other beef), but I've gone up to 50% pork, and they are tasty. Michael is right, for meatballs, they are a great combo!

Really like the looks of that instant pot Chili Colorado sauce, do you have a recipe for that?
Rich, I've used a few different IP recipes for Chile Colorado, and they are all quite similar. I used THIS ONE yesterday, and substituted the chiles I had on hand (Guajillo and Pasilla Negra). You probably have been chile choices where you are.....oh, and, if you are buying dried chiles, make sure they are still a bit pliable and soft. If they are so dry they are brittle, they will be mostly flavorless. This sauce is very versatile, but can also pack some heat. Usually it mellows after a day in the fridge.

Thanks for the nice comments, folks! Was a busy, but fun day!

Rich

Looks and sounds delicious Rich. Now I want some Chile Colorado. I never got on the Instant pot band wagon, but that won't stop me. It's funny, I can only see three of your photos. The bread, the spatchcocked bird and that gorgeous plate shot. Looks like everyone else can see them all. Must be on my end. It usually is. You're a master with that Lame. I use one too, but my loaves are.......laughable. Yours is a work of art. Looks like you're doing mostly Batards now?

Looks and sounds delicious Rich. Now I want some Chile Colorado. I never got on the Instant pot band wagon, but that won't stop me. It's funny, I can only see three of your photos. The bread, the spatchcocked bird and that gorgeous plate shot. Looks like everyone else can see them all. Must be on my end. It usually is. You're a master with that Lame. I use one too, but my loaves are.......laughable. Yours is a work of art. Looks like you're doing mostly Batards now?
As you know from your previous version(s) of CC, the Instant Pot is not required! :) One thing that I do really enjoy about the IP is that it can bring some traditionally long cooking recipes into the realm of weeknight fare. Really you just need to toast the chiles, soak them in boiling water, then puree and strain them. From that point, just add your spices and you are off to the races!

I still make boules as often as batards......

IMG_6601.jpeg

I can tell you from experience that they make great burgers that way! I do prefer 100% brisket (or mix of brisket and other beef), but I've gone up to 50% pork, and they are tasty. Michael is right, for meatballs, they are a great combo!

Rich, I've used a few different IP recipes for Chile Colorado, and they are all quite similar. I used THIS ONE yesterday, and substituted the chiles I had on hand (Guajillo and Pasilla Negra). You probably have been chile choices where you are.....oh, and, if you are buying dried chiles, make sure they are still a bit pliable and soft. If they are so dry they are brittle, they will be mostly flavorless. This sauce is very versatile, but can also pack some heat. Usually it mellows after a day in the fridge.

Thanks for the nice comments, folks! Was a busy, but fun day!

Rich

Thanks for the recipe Rich, I'll give it a try on our next batch of Enchiladas. We've only had our IP since Christmas and all you said about is true it's a game changer.

Back