Chickens Hung on the WSM

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
It took a few cooks to get this to work the way I wanted it, but I think I got it. I used a chimney full of charcoal and pour it over another half or so in the WSM. Water pan empty and foiled. Vents fully open and side door open. I use some chunks of red oak on top of the coals. They will keep a flame and drive up the temps (I re-load when they stop burning). Seems to keep it around 400 or so (the thermometer does not go that high...). I used a rotisserie seasoning from a local spice mill. Took about an hour.

Came out awesome! Sorry no plated pics, but a nice way to eat some chicken.

Thanks for looking and for the inspiration to do this!
-Jeff

That looks great Jeff. I would like to see someone make a hanging rack for the WSM 14.5 as well.

Jeff,

Great looking bird! That is a neat looking rack. Did you make it yourself? I am currently building a mini and would like to try to make something like that for it. How do the hangers attach to the bird? Please advise...

Regards,

John

nice Rack and Breast and Thigh and Legs..... Wings too I guess... Great cook. How do you get a rack for hanging birds or ribs?

I know I want one of those racks too. Would it support a turkey? Or would it be better just to place the turkey on the bottom grate? Those birds look good BTW! I like the color of the seasoning.

I have the expandable rack as well. I've only smoked sausages so far but I have plans on hanging some birds soon! I hope my birds turn out as nice as yours did.

Looks terrific, Jeff! That just reminded me that I have the same Weber rack hiding somewhere in the garage.

Guess I better dig it out and play some hang 'em high with a yardbird or two.

Last edited:
Great looking bird! That is a neat looking rack. Did you make it yourself? I am currently building a mini and would like to try to make something like that for it. How do the hangers attach to the bird? Please advise...

Thanks! The rack is made by weber and comes with the hooks for hanging fish. They fit in the chicken perfectly. The rack can be found here (but if you buy it on Amazon, click through the referral link here :cool:).

I know I want one of those racks too. Would it support a turkey? Or would it be better just to place the turkey on the bottom grate? Those birds look good BTW! I like the color of the seasoning.

Thanks! You may be able to hang a smaller turkey, but I would probably just put it on the grate. These are fryer chickens that are only a few pounds each....

Nice looking poultry. Wait until you hang some ribs. Very easy way to smoke things.

Back