CHICKEN WINGS

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I posted this today on my ......and today is........thread. I figured I better post it here also. lol

JULY 29 - National Chicken Wing Day

July 29th is on a Thursday, (wish it was a week-end. lol) Can we all come up with some good wing recipes for all of us to make? We have 2 weeks to plan for this day. I know I can not be the only wing lover here. So please, come share with us your favorite wing recipes.

Please put them on the Poultry thread, thank you.

PS - They don't have to be grilled.

Last edited:
What is happening on the 29th?

I remember going to Rutgers New Brunswick Campus. There is a very good chicken wing place called Cluck U. They had different grades of sauce going from mild, atomic, nuclear, and thermonuclear. Atomic was plenty hot for me and I liked hot food. Can’t imagine what thermonuclear would be like. At some point, they changed their name to Cluck University.

HA HA -Thanks Bill, I did forget to add something, didn't I? It made sense on the other thread. lol

OK I corrected my post.

1626448085157.jpg

Mark's Chicken Wings​

Chicken
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 mins Difficulty: Medium Servings: 4Source: Mark Foreman

INGREDIENTS​

36 chicken wing pieces (one wing makes 2 pieces)
Sauce:
1 1/2
tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you want it hotter)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
celery sticks with a few optional carrot sticks
blue cheese dressing (Ranch ok too)

DIRECTIONS​

1. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and microwave just until the butter starts to melt. Wisk until the butter is incorporated. Put into fridge for at least one hour. More is better!!!
2. Salt the wings and grill over medium direct heat till cooked and browned.
3. After the wings are cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool to warm.
4. Pour the sauce over the hot wings and toss with a spoon or spatula to completely coat.
Serve with celery (carrot if using) sticks and dressing.

Sent from my iPad

Recipe Name:Chicken Wings: Asian style – sweet with heat
Ingredients:* 6 whole chicken wings: makes 12 pieces
* Garlic Salt
Sauce
* 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
* 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
* 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
* 3 Tablespoons Thai Garlic Chili Paste
* Red Tabasco Sauce
Preparation:* Preheat oven to 400F
* Part the chicken wings to make 1 dozen pieces
* Pat dry the cut pieces with paper towels
* Put the chicken wings pieces into a large bowl and sprinkle with the garlic salt
* Toss to coat all pieces as first layer of flavor
* Put all 12 pieces on a roasting pan, skin side up
* Bake at 400F for 12 minutes
* While the wings are crisping - prep the sauce in a fresh/clean mixing bowl
* Add about 1 large tablespoon Sesame Oil to a bowl
* Squeeze in about 3 tablespoons of Maple syrup
* Pour in about 3 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
* Add in about 3 tablespoons of Thai Garlic Chili Paste
* Add several dashes of Tabasco sauce
* Mix well
* Remove the chicken wings after 12 minutes and let cool for a couple of minutes
* Add the chicken wings into the sauce bowl - toss to coat evenly
* Return to the roasting pan, skin side up, and bake at 400F for another 12 minutes
* Remove the chicken wings and return to the mixing bowl for a final coating in the left over sauce
SERVE

I served these as an afternoon appetizer with cut veggies and ranch dipping sauce
wings-11-3-18.jpg

Mmmmmm!! Looks good, thanks Erik
The heat can be adjusted by leaving out the Tabasco and adding in the Thai garlic chili paste 1 tablespoon at a time until you get to the heat level you want.

It doesn't sound/read like Maple syrup would go with this, but strangely it's a tasty fusion!

I posted this today on my ......and today is........thread. I figured I better post it here also. lol

JULY 29 - National Chicken Wing Day

July 29th is on a Thursday, (wish it was a week-end. lol) Can we all come up with some good wing recipes for all of us to make? We have 2 weeks to plan for this day. I know I can not be the only wing lover here. So please, come share with us your favorite wing recipes.

Please put them on the Poultry thread, thank you.

PS - They don't have to be grilled.
Can be used as a marinade prior to cooking or as a dipping sauce. I use it as a marinade, and then sprinkle Frank's on them while cooking

5b85f883-e906-45f1-a8c8-bd3e10c18008.04b6b3e2ac358c8e569ea5b27979a5b4.jpeg

🏆

And the Trophy goes to Mark for posting the first wing recipe on this thread. lol

Thanks Mark, a little to hot for me but DH likes it.
Joan

Try it. Leave out the Cayenne and back off the Tabasco. I did this as a spin off of the original Buffalo recipe.

Just so you all won't think I am anti-buffalo wings, I checked my wing binder and counted how many Buffalo Wing recipes I had. The grand total is 30. Does that get me off the hook? lol

BEFORE we knew what was coming up in a few weeks, we put this recipe on our list to have tonight. I first made this recipe back in 2011. Tonight will be the 7th time we have had them. We even made this recipe using thighs. Hope you will give it a try.

Caramelized Chicken Wings

1 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 TB. peanut butter
1 TB. honey
2 tsp. wine vinegar
1 TB. minced garlic
12 large chicken wings, tips removed and wings cut in half at joint
1 tsp. sesame seeds, or to taste (optional)

1. In an electric skillet or a large skillet over medium heat, mix together the ingredients until smooth and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Place the wings into the sauce, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the wings are tender and the sauce has thickened, about 30 more minutes, spooning sauce over wings occasionally. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Source: allrecipes.com - 2011

Just had to let you know that tonight's dinner was just delicious as ever, but I forgot to ask DH to take pictures. So sorry, my bad.

(hint hint) but if anyone else makes them, they can post their own pictures.

While rounding up some more wing recipes (like I don't have enough as it is :rolleyes: ) for the big event, (in 6 more days) I noticed something I thought was funny and thought I would share with you.

I printed out 6 recipes for wings from around the world, With names like Grilled Chicken Wings with Hong Kong Spices, Spicy Chile Wings, Australian Beer-Barbecued Wings, and etc. Nice sounding titles, right? Come to a recipe from the U.S.A., Eat it & Beat It Wings. :giggle: It turns out that that used to be the name of a restaurant in Kansas City called Lil' Jake's Eat It & Beat It, which is now called "Danny Edwards" (if it is still open).

Last edited:
The recipes I mentioned in my above post came from "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlen, the 10th Anniversary, full-color edition pub. 2008. They had a contest back then, and I was lucky enough to win an autographed copy of the book.

Chicken Wings with Sweet Balsamic Glaze

GLAZE:
3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

RUB:
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/'2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

12 chicken wings, about 3 lbs. total, each cut in half at the joint and wing tips removed

1. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F)
2. Whisk the glaze ingredients.
3. In a spice mill process the fennel seed until coarsely ground (or use the bottom of a heavy pan to crush it). Pour the fennel seed into a large bowl and add the
remaining rub ingredients. Add the wings and toss to coat them with the rub.
4. Grill the wings over direct medium heat, with the lid closed until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice. Move the wings over indirect medium
heat, brush with half the glaze and continue grilling until the skin is crisp at the edges and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, about 10 minutes more.
During the last 5 minutes of grilling time, brush the wings evenly with the remaining glaze, turning once or twice. Serve warm.

Source" Weber's New Real Grilling - Jamie Purviance

Tandoori Chicken Wings

3 lbs. chicken wings
1/2 cup Tandoori paste
1/2 cup Greek yogurt

Combine the paste and yogurt, add wings and marinate for 30 minutes. Then grill.

Source: Food Network mag. Jan. 2013

Love chicken wings and those recipes sound good, but around here chicken wings are gold and sell near the price of tenderloin.
Last pack I saw at Frys was $10.99 lb. $34 and change for a little over 3 pounds.

Back