Chicken Tikka with no milk, eggs, wheat?

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
I love a good chicken Tikka, hell even a mediocre one. But, my kid is allergic to eggs, milk, wheat, and nuts except almonds. I found some safe recipes online, but would love to hear firsthand experience.

Coconut cream. If you need to thicken, potato starch or corn flour in water. Slivered almonds to top.

We have a GF, DF eater here so the mods are pretty easy. And another one who’s allergic to tree nuts (cashew, pistachios, pine, Brazil and a few others).

Yoghurt?
I know you said milk as a no go, but a lot of people that can't drink milk can eat yoghurt.
Otherwise coconut milk or cream. Or even descicated coconut mixed with water and then the liquid squeezed out.

Almond milk maybe
Loads of options really. Just check on your spices. Don't know what is used as anti-caking

Almond yoghurt. Mix in a quality tikka dry mix, to taste, and coat the chicken liberally, and into a fridge overnight. Excess marinade can be removed before cooking on the grill. I do CT quite a lot, love it.

Coconut cream. If you need to thicken, potato starch or corn flour in water. Slivered almonds to top.

We have a GF, DF eater here so the mods are pretty easy. And another one who’s allergic to tree nuts (cashew, pistachios, pine, Brazil and a few others).
Coconut is such a strong flavor, does it come through in the end product?

Almond yoghurt. Mix in a quality tikka dry mix, to taste, and coat the chicken liberally, and into a fridge overnight. Excess marinade can be removed before cooking on the grill. I do CT quite a lot, love it.
Thanks! We keep almond yogurt for his snacks, but I wasn't sure how it would react to grilling. Good to hear from someone who has tried it.

Yoghurt?
I know you said milk as a no go, but a lot of people that can't drink milk can eat yoghurt.
Otherwise coconut milk or cream. Or even descicated coconut mixed with water and then the liquid squeezed out.

Almond milk maybe
Loads of options really. Just check on your spices. Don't know what is used as anti-caking
Thanks. He's not lactose intolerant, but very allergic to milk proteins. So, even hard cheese and cultured yogurt are no-go. Good tip on the spices, I blend my own as much as possible but may lean on an Indian friend for the garam masala in this case.

Last edited:
Thanks! We keep almond yogurt for his snacks, but I wasn't sure how it would react to grilling. Good to hear from someone who has tried it.
Almonds are used extensively in Indian cooking. Especially almond flour.
Tip: Score the chicken so the marinade can really penetrate the meat. I usually overnight in the fridge and then scrape off the excess marinade leaving just a "painted" amount on the meat. YMMV. Works grate with lamb too.

Coconut is such a strong flavor, does it come through in the end product?
Too much of it, cream, and it can. I start with less to get the desired thickness and flavor profile to avoid making it a coconut dish. But it is what it is, when you’re DF. I personally don’t mind it. The creamed coconut has richer texture than the milk, thus the thickening properties are desired over the milk.

It looks like you are going to have a lot of chicken tikka in the near future :)
One with almond milk
One with coconut cream
With almond yoghurt, coconut milk (just cook it longer), descicated coconut, soy milk (why not try that as well,) :love:
:p:cool:

Back