Chicken on the WSM

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a 22" WSM and was wondering how many "cut-up" chickens I can get on the 2 cooking grates. I need to cook 6 Chickens.

Thanks for your help.

I cook 6 whole chickens in my 18.5" They're all on "beer can stands" some have beer cans in them, some have soda cans in them, some have no cans in them. If you cut yours up, you'll have the problem of accessing the chicken on the bottom rack. Whole chickens don't need to be accessed much if at all

I've only done 2 quartered chickens but there was plenty of room to spare. I bet you could fit at least 4 or more.

On my 18.5 I have cooked 6 bone in breasts, a family pack of thighs (10 pc?) and a family pack of drumsticks (10+ pc) using both grates. That filled up 2 grates with me trying to leave a little space between pieces for more even cooking.

I would think that you would have space for 6 chickens worth on a 22 with the extra space.

You can fit 3 butterflied fryers to a grate in the 22.5" wsm. I've smoked six at a time for pulled BBQ chicken or chicken salad with great results.

My plan is to cook 6 full birds and then cut them into 10 pieces each. Splitting the breasts. That, along with 4 pork butts should feed 30 people. I think...

4 butts and 6 chickens makes for a busy smoker. Assuming each but is 8LBS, figure 12 hours for them. If you had the room, you could add the chickens at about hour 9, but I think your problem is you're outta room....However. If you plan on letting your butts rest for at least an hour, you could wrap all your butts into one package at hour 10 and let them cook like that for the last 2 hours and then you could add the chickens at hour 10. Pull the butts off at hour 12, and pull the chickens off at hour 13 (3rd hour for them)

The assumption being: All the butts are about 8LBS, the weather is mild, and you can maintain 250 degrees. Add some wood when you add the chickens

Frank, you may want to think about more chicken to feed 30 people. Usually a 1/2 chicken gives you the traditional 4 piece dinner. I would BBQ at least 15 chickens to feed 30 hungry BBQ eaters. Well I am a dummy, I missed the 4 pork butts!
My plan is to cook 6 full birds and then cut them into 10 pieces each. Splitting the breasts. That, along with 4 pork butts should feed 30 people. I think...

Back