Chicken On New Upper Cooking Grate

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
First cook on my Joe's Grill Grates grate. Man, I like using that grate as my main cooking level. When I pulled the Chicken off nothing stuck to the grate and with the expanded metal nothing is going to fall through.. The Smokefire has now given me 2 months of worry free operation. Now the cook.
6 lb. Publix roaster. Dry brined overnight and smeared with herb butter (butter and Italian Herbs) just before cooking. Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets. The grill only took 12 minutes to get to 400 from 75. Yesterday, 75 OAT, it took 20 minutes to get to 350. Same bag of pellets and light wind. Go figure. The bird took 1 hr. 15 min. to 155 and the breast was moist but not as moist as last cook. I need to calibrate the meat probe cause the Thermapen read higher. My wife liked the taste of the herb butter on the white meat and the dark meat was really tasty. Crunchy, bite through skin. Sara's Potato Saad and her Waldorf Salad made it a great dinner. I'm sold on Smokefire and Spatchcocked Chicken.4-5-21 Chicken.JPG4-5-21 Chicken 2.JPG

Lew, I have tried that upper rack several times, including tonight. And every time it seems like I am cooking from the bottom only. Like the heat is running out the vents faster the moving around the top. I need to figure this out.

Lew, I have tried that upper rack several times, including tonight. And every time it seems like I am cooking from the bottom only. Like the heat is running out the vents faster the moving around the top. I need to figure this out.
When I got my EX6 I did a temp map at 250°. Top rack left 256, middle 266, and right 270. If I did it today I'm sure I would get different numbers. On this cook at 400 it took 1 hr. 15 min. but I could have pulled it off 5 minutes earlier. That's close to what I got using the bottom rack, In September I did 3 pork butts on the bottom and one on the top grate. The one on top finished first by a few minutes so not much difference. I'm going to learn what works on the top and stick with it. For me I can reach the food without bending and every little thing helps my old back.

I got the same grate. Really solid. Did you season it or just let it roll? If not how did you season it?
You should season it. Joe recommends that you rub on Peanut oil, but Canola works, put it into the grill at 350° F for 2 hours. Then let it cool down with the grill after shutdown. I had some Beef Tallow and used that. The next time I turned on the grill I let it get hot and then brushed off any bits left from the cook and sprayede it with Canola oil. I'll do that for a couple more cooks and then let it roll. I want that grate well seasoned so I don't have to worry about rust in the humid Florida air.

I got the same grate. Really solid. Did you season it or just let it roll? If not how did you season it?
Here's what it looks like after 3 coats of oil/fat baked in and a 15 minute roasting at 600. The color is gloss black but doesn't show in the pic. The left front is not black and I know that's a cool spot in my grill. joe's Grate seasoned.JPG

Here's what it looks like after 3 coats of oil/fat baked in and a 15 minute roasting at 600. The color is gloss black but doesn't show in the pic. The left front is not black and I know that's a cool spot in my grill. View attachment 25698

I didn’t have peanut or canola oil so I used vegetable oil and ran it for 2hrs at 375. Plan on throwing a brisket on tonight and will try your method for more seasoning.

I didn’t have peanut or canola oil so I used vegetable oil and ran it for 2hrs at 375. Plan on throwing a brisket on tonight and will try your method for more seasoning.
Post some pics! I’m planning on a butt and brisket over Memorial Day weekend!

I don't think it makes any difference. The last 2 times I used spray Pam which happens to be Canola Oil.

What happened to the brisket?
Turned out awesome. 18hrs. Injected it which I think made it take longer so had to Texas crutch it.

Attachments

• 34EE6070-4945-4F48-A3F7-10054A1CA656.jpeg
    34EE6070-4945-4F48-A3F7-10054A1CA656.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 0778185E-4A26-49C1-9C14-3DB70D1D52DA.jpeg
    0778185E-4A26-49C1-9C14-3DB70D1D52DA.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 16214CDB-0741-43EC-85D0-FC9D13EE7B15.jpeg
    16214CDB-0741-43EC-85D0-FC9D13EE7B15.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 12

Back