Chicago Hot Dog Salad

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This is for you Barb ;) Dinner tonight, something different for a change. lol We both enjoyed it very much. Hope you do.

1598400126265.png

Chicago Hot Dog Salad

12 oz. frozen potato puffs
1/2 tsp.celery salt, plus more to taste
2 TB. apple cider vinegar
1 TB. yellow mustard, plus more for topping
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise and chopped
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
12 pickled pepperoncini (4 stemmed and thinly sliced, 8 left whole
4 hot dogs
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
Sweet relish, for topping

1. Bake the potato puffs as the label directs. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. celery salt.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the vinegar and mustard in a large bowl. Whisk in 3 TB. vegetable oil until smooth. Add the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and sliced pepperoncini; season with celery salt to taste. Toss to combine.
3. Slice the hot dogs lengthwise about three-quarters of the way through; open like a book. Heat the remaining 1 TB. vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hot dogs cut-side down. Cook until browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes.
4. Divide the salad among plates; top each with a hot dog. Drizzle some mustard on the hot dogs, then top with the onion and relish. Add the potato puffs and whole pepperoncini. Serves 4

Source: Food Network mag. June 2019

Joan, thanks for the recipe will be giving this a try. It does sound and looks interesting. Again thanks Barb.

Your welcome Barb. It is a little different (at least to me, lol) but we figured it was worth a try. I will be looking over my hot dog recipes today. Maybe I can find something really interesting.

OR, are you like me? I can't get over how many things I used to like when younger no longer appeal to me. Like just a few minutes ago, DH asked if he should throw out the scrapple in the frig. I used to love it some years ago, but it just does not seem the same to me. So, please let me know if you have "outgrown" hot dogs, ok? :)

Joan, have you switched bourbon? There are so many things you’ve posted that look remarkable in a good way, then, there is this...EEEk!
I have a serious fondness for Chicago dogs (swmbo prefers them without sport peppers) especially from the guy in front of Wrigley or the Art Museum. Those are the two favorites but, there are many others.
This “concept” simply leaves me cold as Navy Pier in late January!
Sorry buddy, this isn’t even close for me.

Joan, have you switched bourbon? There are so many things you’ve posted that look remarkable in a good way, then, there is this...EEEk!
I have a serious fondness for Chicago dogs (swmbo prefers them without sport peppers) especially from the guy in front of Wrigley or the Art Museum. Those are the two favorites but, there are many others.
This “concept” simply leaves me cold as Navy Pier in late January!
Sorry buddy, this isn’t even close for me.
Tim, sorry about that. But you know the old saying, don't knock it, till you try it.

Sorry but I'm with Tim. A real Chicago Dog is so hard to get outside of Chicago and finding a local source is a rare treat. I've even seriously considered ordering the kits from Vienna Beef but just can't bring myself to spend that much for hot dogs. A salad version seems sacrilegious.

If someone brought this to a pot luck I would most assuredly eat some but.....

I used to fly to SC a couple of times a year and I would ALWAYS book a flight with a layover in Chicago just to get some dogs. I'd bring lump charcoal (unavailable here at the time) from SC back with me.

Sorry if this recipe offends some of you, but not being familiar with a real Chicago Hot Dog, it was good to us.

A true Chi-Town dog is made with with a Vienna hot dog, since there is no mentioning of a specific brand of hot dog, perhaps the recipe should just be called "Hot Dog Salad."

Still have not gotten on an airplane or a train, so this still sounds good to me. Just checking out my old threads for some ideas for dinner.

Back