Checked thermometer in 14.5 lid

David Green

I have been using the thermometer in the lid I usually shoot for 250. Have had trouble getting it there. We checked the temp with another thermometer. When the lid says 200, it is really in the 265 range at the top grate. Should have checked it by now.

Check the therm in boiling water for accuracy, but I get what you're saying. I don't have the little one but that sounds about right for the start of a cook. Temps even out a great deal over time, with cold meat, sun, and wind being the reason for the difference. I expect only about 200 on my 18 at the start of a big overnight butt cook. Next morning I expect it to be somewhere around 12 o'clock, though.

I checked second thermometer in boiling water. It was off about 4 degrees. I will keep an eye on it. Will check at different stages of the cook.

4o is nothing. If that's all it is, consider it accurate "mechanically speaking". As Dave says, lots of other factors can affect the reading.

I'm a big fan of the Maverick ET-732 and actual cooking grate temperature. However, I have done well, when necessary, using the lid thermometer. It's all relative and you just have to take into consideration where the OEM thermometer is located.

When I built my Mini - I installed my thermometer so the probe is under the top grate to give me a better idea when my Maverick is tied up with one of my other smokers. It works just fine.

Just use your smoker enough to know what the thermometer indication is reading compared to cook time. After a few cooks are under your belt you'll know where you're at.

All of that said, I LIKE my Maverick...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

For thin cuts like CSR's, leg quarters, sausage or whatever, the lid mounted therm is usually close IME. Like was said up-thread, thicker cuts that have a lot of cold mass can give some wacky readings compared to grate temps, that's why I normally only temp at the top vent with a turkey fryer therm with an adjustable stem when doing butts, chucks or briskets.

Tim

Back