Cheap pellet storage options?

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
I only use pellets in my smoke tube, so a bag lasts a LONG time. I'm looking for something more durable than the original bag. We buy laundry soap in plastic buckets that would be perfect, but I'm afraid of soapy smoke. After a couple rinses, the bucket still smells a little.

Would the pellets absorb the soap smell? Would it affect the food?

If you’re buying a 20lb bag of pellets, you can get a 5 gallon bucket and a gamma seal lid for it. If you’re buying the little 3 or 5 lb bags, you could get a pet food container.
I had no idea there were bags smaller than 20lbs! That's what I get for shopping BJ'S and Costco. I have 3 different flavors, 15-18lb each.

Thanks for the tips. I needed $2 screws from Ace Hardware today and they had two sizes of the Kingsford bins (big for charcoal, small for pellets) right at the checkout counter. I now own $20 buckets.

I have the main bag the pellets came in and I use a 2 gallon zip lock for my “in use” pellets. I fill up the in use bag when needed and leave the large bag in the garage with my coal stash. And I use a red solo cup to pour over what I need to fill my smoke tube and keep the cup in the in use bag, which stays on the pantry floor.

I think I will go to Menard's and grab one of the plastic buckets with a lid. IDK if I need a food grade one or not though

Those rectangular ones do look good. I went with the 5-gallon buckets in different colors with Gamma lids on most. Since I am good at forgetting, I cut out or make labels and tape them onto the buckets and lids. Like a lot of things in my grill hobby, I now have too many buckets full of pellets 😧!

Yeah speaking of forgetting..................Yesterday I had to drive from Rockford all the way to Gurnee IL for my aunt's funeral (close to 100 mi one way). Then afterward, went to Big Ed's BBQ in Waukegan IL and after another absolutely outstanding meal I drove the close to 2 hours and nearly 100 mi back home. Closed the car up, locked it, went inside, changed, put on my Hogan's Heroes DVDs and collapsed. Today, my brother invited me back to Mundelein for supper with our sister, our brother in law, dad, and my cousin in from out in Vancouver WA. Well, I get there, and warnings came on my RING app about severe storms out here. Well, while we were finishing up supper, I looked at my RING cam and discovered I had left the passenger side windows down all night and day on my car sitting outside. Well, it's absolutely drenched. So yeah forgetful or as we say "stunad"

14EB2A4E-C96D-42C1-8B5B-7DD4F60D275B.jpeg
I now bag em in my wife’s old ziploc bags before storing in bucket. If I forget to close lid after too many beers and leave bucket outside overnight in rain… not that that’s ever happened thrice

Larry,
Yeah, those look like an easier to use solution than my 5-gallon buckets with Gamma lids. By the time you pay for the bucket and lid they cost at least that much or more and hold less. They also don't pour so nicely!

I use a 5-gallon pail with a lid. Inexpensive and it works great. However, I do use a cat litter scoop to pull the pellets from the bucket into the EX6 as a way to control the amount of pellet dust placed into the pellet hopper. It does take a little longer but works for me.

Back