CharQing while being "safer at home!"

I saw on for sale before I knew what it was. If I knew then what I do now I probably would have grabbed it. It's the only one I've ever seen listed in my area.

Jason, I am with you. I have no intention of using my CharQ and had never heard of them until a few years ago. But, when I saw this one pop up for $40, I jumped. I think maybe I had seen one just once before on my local FB MP and CL.

LOL: Jon, you got first dibs. Of course.
What is "aluminized steel". Did you mean: "Galvanized steel"?

All I have left is to paint the outside of the bottom cook box. I need 50 degrees with no rain and the forecast doesn't show that until a week from Saturday.

Look forward to seeing how yours shapes up. Sounds like a better than average one.

Aluminized steel is a special bonding of the two metals. Weber uses it on the newer sweeps in their kettles and they did on that Charcoal tray in the CharQ. I don't pretend to understand it all. Here's what Wikipedia says:

One thing for sure, Bruce, is there is a market ready for your CharQ right here! I already have one - even if rough right now - so I will stand down and see if one of these guys is willing and able to pay the purchase price + shipping. At least it is a light-weight grill, but shipping anything today is still pretty pricey.

That is cool and very interesting. I had never heard of it before, but the reason I asked about it is that the coal rack I have seemed to look a lot like aluminum but was heavier than expected and did seem to have some corrosion on it. I even went so far as to put a magnet to it and it did stick so I just figured it was "galvanized" steel.

One thing for sure, Bruce, is there is a market ready for your CharQ right here! I already have one - even if rough right now - so I will stand down and see if one of these guys is willing and able to pay the purchase price + shipping. At least it is a light-weight grill, but shipping anything today is still pretty pricey.
Yah, would be willing to ship it if a buyer was willing to pay the cost, but that is getting to be a pretty expensive proposition. Hopefully I can find someone fairly local or maybe someone planning to be in the area that is looking for one. I will list it on CL and FB MP as well as on the for sale section on this forum. At least it is small and won't take up a lot of space so I can afford to sit on it waiting for a buyer.

I would say you could barter those with people in the US for Weber gas grills! Of course the border has to be open and distance makes that unrealistic. Funny that you would have those as being common up there. People here have to search diligently to find one. I have also noticed that a Canadian division of a company I can't remember is the only supplier I could find for the aluminized steel charcoal tray for the CharQ. They told me I could not buy from them being in the US:(.

I wouldn't say they're common. It's just that when they do pop up for sale, they tend to go for cheap as there's usually not much interest in them.

Electric Q's also seem to sell for cheap and in great condition.

Back