Charm City Pit Beef Redux

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
It's been awhile since I've posted a cook and looking back at my last one it was the same thing as this one, shows how much we really enjoy it. We found a 3.5# bottom round and covered it with Tatonka Dust.

I broke out the CB rotisserie, this is our favorite way of doing this, it's almost a no brainer. It makes it easy for me to do other things and then this doesn't burn on one side or the other and thanks to my trusty super fast insta read green thermo pen, the thermo pen is a meal saver.

The super fast insta read green thermo pen read 135 after just under and hour, perfect! It was then wrapped in foil and a towel and into a cooler for three hours and then into the fridge over nite to wait for Christmas day.

The next day it hit the slicer to be sliced up for sammies.

I'm a lucky guy, I got one of the good ones. A good Polish/Irish girl who has taken better care of me for almost 30 years now than I probably deserve. She made up some of her awesome kielbasa n kraut, mac salad n slaw. The whole meal was awesome! We've been eating hot beef n gravy sammies, luch meat sammies and our favorite is the pit style. We like it with horseradish and raw onions, (kind of ole school).

There are "pit beef" stands on the side of the road around here and it's strange, it's only in a small area, you get outside of it and no one knows what you're talking about, "pit beef stand, what's pit beef?" I'm thinking, "are we from the same state?" Usually, the stands never use a rub, maybe a lite S&P, maybe. Also they use much larger hunks of bottom round 8/10#'s. Usually eaten on a kaiser roll or rye bread with horseradish and raw onions.

This was our Christmas meal, and then some. Toni and I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!
Thanks for looking at our cooking!

Where's the horseradish?

I like horseradish sauce, it's on there. It's hard to find good horseradish anymore, you know, the good stuff that'll blow your nostrils wide open and bring tears to your eyes. I remember Tiger Sauce brand. A guy would frequent some local watering holes with a milk crate full of Tiger Sauce horseradish and horseradish mustard. The stuff out there now is just weak.

Back