charcoal ring size on 18.5 - also modifying 22 ring

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I was thinking of getting or making a smaller charcoal ring for smaller cooks. I measured the ring on my WSM 22 and it is 17 inches in diameter. Does anyone know what the diameter of the ring from the WSM 18.5 is?

Also when I got my CB rotisserie Chris included a charcoal ring, that ring is 18 1/4 inches in diameter and is the exact same size as the charcoal grate on the WSM 22 while the one that came with the WSM is a good inch smaller than it so there is some of the grate showing beyond the ring.

If I was thinking of cutting one of the rings and bending and tying it into a smaller size, which one should I cut? I was thinking that the Cajun Bandit charcoal ring seems a little better made and has tabs to keep it's position on the grate.

or what have people done to set up for smaller cooks? My WSM is not airtight yet so the coals eventually burn out.

It's 14.5" diameter. It has a porcelain enamel finish which might crack when you shorten the bend.
Let us know what you come up with.

Tim

Not sure of the diameter of the 18 ring(will measure it later and let you know) and don't know anything about cutting metal but I will share my latest set up for a shorter cook on my 22 WSM.

I have the 18 and 22 WSM so this past Sunday I used the charcoal ring from the 18(full ring and the small coffee can minion method) in the 22 and it worked better in keeping the temps down. I think it also helped to foil the empty water pan and leave out the clay saucer. I got 6 hours of rock solid 225(on both grate levels interestingly) before I had to start opening a second vent. I cook with 2 bottom vents closed and adjust with one vent until temps start to fall a bit. My cook lasted 7 hours and when I checked the empty smoker at the 8 hour mark it was still at 225.

You could order an 18 charcoal ring from Weber as another option.

I think you are on the right track. I've thought of using the charcoal baskets from my grills in my WSM's but never have tried it. I think it might work for a shorter cook like ribs.

I hope this helps in some way and good luck.

I had called Weber and the WSM 18 ring is $120, too much

You are right the WSM ring is enameled, the CB ring is just stainless so could be bent, but I almost hate to bend it. I have to get up to Home Depot to see what they may have.

Why not just throw some bricks in the charcoal ring to take up some of the volume? I use the $0.25-0.5 red bricks from HD, and have had no problems with breakage.

All you want to do is reduce the amount of volume left to the charcoal, so a brick or two to one side will work. There's plenty of paths for air to get to the charcoal. The bricks aren't blocking the air intake holes, and can flow in all three dimensions to the charcoal.

Peter... What's the problems with 'only' $120 for the ring... after all, it's coated in diamonds with gold trim... ;)
The diamonds will not break down as does the porcelain coating after a millennium or two and the gold, well it just adds that 'certain' high end touch... ;

I did a basket Jeff with the idea of going higher not wider, thought being a slower burn going down as opposed to across.

Peter... What's the problems with 'only' $120 for the ring... after all, it's coated in diamonds with gold trim... ;)
The diamonds will not break down as does the porcelain coating after a millennium or two and the gold, well it just adds that 'certain' high end touch... ;

lol, thats right- the diamonds =)

Peter

My WSM is not airtight yet so the coals eventually burn out.

You should work on that first. Then it won't matter how much charcoal you use because you can shut down the unit and use the unburnt charcoal on the next cook. Leaking is generally a door problem. Try working on bending that or get the SS door from CB which I understand fits better. In the absence of doing that, I would go with the expanded metal. It's relatively easy to work with and doesn't cost much because they don't use diamonds or gold.

You should work on that first. Then it won't matter how much charcoal you use because you can shut down the unit and use the unburnt charcoal on the next cook. Leaking is generally a door problem. Try working on bending that or get the SS door from CB which I understand fits better. In the absence of doing that, I would go with the expanded metal. It's relatively easy to work with and doesn't cost much because they don't use diamonds or gold.

First, what I have seen of expanded metal it is diamonds, a diamond pattern :D

I got the CB door for the WSM it didn't fit perfect so I bent it a bit, but for my only cook so far I used the WSM door as the CB hadn't come in yet. This will be the first cook with the CB door, of course I have the rotisserie ring from CB on it, I will take that off when I shut down.

Did I mention I like gadgets? :wsm:

Jeff to snuff your coals faster .... I see you have a 22 OTG, when you are done using the 22 WSM, remove the top and center sections and use the lid from your OTG on the bottom section of your WSM. That will smother the coals sooner and get you more of an air tight fit or drop the coals into your SJS to snuff them out. The SJS will work even faster.

Re. your coal ring.. cut a piece of 48 inch expanded metal and make to the height you desire then just bolt (and unbolt) it together where you want your ring for that day.. example you can go from 12 inch circle to 15 inches based on the needs of your cook.

Last edited:
Those are great ideas! I will try them on the next cook

Right now I am doing 2 rotisserie chickens at 450, although one of my thermometers says 475 so all the coals are going and won't be much left to snuff today.

Well I was lucky to get this made before the company clamped down on personal projects. 4 pieces cut to slip fit together.

$120 for a CB is insane! That's 40% of the cost of a new 18.5". I'd make one out of expanded metal.

It is for the Weber ring, not the CB. but I agree.

I have the 22 ring from Weber AND a 22 ring from CB, the Weber is 17 inches in diameter and the CB is about 19, it is the same size as the charcoal grate resting on it on metal tabs. I am trying to decide which one to cut and reshape.

QUESTION - the Weber ring is smaller than the charcoal grate so theoretically allows air to circulate from under it, although there are no vents under it, the CB ring rests against the bottom section of the Weber as the charcoal ring does, but wouldn't most air come from the vents (actually all the air) and not circulate under the coals? So I could put more coal in the CB and therefore maybe I should cut the Weber ring

Back