Charcoal: Another one of my crazy questions

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
I guess this is part two of my crazy question series. Maybe I should have spaced them out for fear of being banned because, like my other question, this is probably sacrilegious on here hahaha!

Maybe I'm just a tight wad but does it kill you to use a whole bag of charcoal to smoke 1 butt? Or all those coals when the burgers are done in just a few minutes? Yes, I choke it down and reuse them and I could smoke more than one butt on my 22.5 WSM. I've never used my mini since I build it, but maybe it does a lot better. I love the food, and I love spending time with my Weber grills, but for some reason I try to be stingy with my charcoal. I guess it became more apparent to me when I used the 22.5 WSM to do one butt.

hahaha, it's all in fun but I'm just curious if I'm that cheap!

I hear ya. The 22 WSM was my first weber smoker and it killed me to do one butt. Besides the twin pack of kingsford for 9.88 which I buy 12 twins every year I went to a smaller smoker. The 14 works great to one butt cooks. Problem is you can buy a lot of sale kingsford for the 200 dollar price tag. I'd suggest using the mini if your worried about it.

Use your mini or get yourself a 14.5. both are GREAT on charcoal and you can do 2 on each if you so desire. I'd NEVER fire up my 22 for 1 butt, butt that's just me.

drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

I am really amazed at how little charcoal the mini uses, it's my go to smoker if what I'm doing fits it okay. My 18.5 I use mostly for high heat chicken and SL spares a 22.5 for just the two of us just doesn't make sense.

Ditto on meager charcoal with my 14.5 WSM, for the two of us, I get a lot of mileage out of a charcoal bag. The mini I built, was also just as frugal with charcoal and with both, I was able to do two butts and still have a little room left over.

Even with my 18, I simply just don't cook one of anything. Usually fill that puppy up and let it rip. Takes about the same time and coals to cook several butts as it does to cook one, so I go for the economy of scale. Often combining butts with ribs, beans, or atomic buffalo turds, just to avoid an empty rack.

I don't use anywhere near a bag to do a butt on the Performer using the snake method. Do the WSM's use more charcoal?

Yes I shy away from my 22 because of fuel cost. I bought it because I wanted to cook ribs flat pretty much like the big boys but for my needs most of the time my 18 is plenty good ribs cut in half. Just saying.

Some good points in here; I'm a DIYer by nature but the prospect of making my own, at this point in my life- is a definite no! I'll fire up the mini- I'm isially crazy busy and like not to reload the coals but it's manageable. Haha, I was just curious how some fellow grillers thought about it.

I had 3 double packs left from the spring sale of KBB and after seeing the thread on here about KBB being on sale again, we ran up to lowes this evening and bought 5 double packs for $9.98 on sale.

Thanks for the ideas and input...just having some fun....like shootin the breeze around the smoker...

Yes I shy away from my 22 because of fuel cost. I bought it because I wanted to cook ribs flat pretty much like the big boys but for my needs most of the time my 18 is plenty good ribs cut in half. Just saying.

Back