Char Sui the easy way

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Normally I make my own Char Sui Marinade, but I had a packet of NOH Char Sui straight from the Big Island hanging out in my pantry. So I mixed that up and took a nice pork sirloin tip roast and put them in my vacuum tumbler to marinate overnight. I made this for a dish that I will be amking tonight. Whatever I dont use I will vacuum pack and freeze. Okay that's a lie, char sui pork is one of my most favorite things to dip in Chinese mustard and sesame seeds!

21780951069_049a1332a8_k.jpg

Costco has been selling these in four packs. Super good little roasts.

21779987768_6115075182_k.jpg

The color always reminds me of curing salmon roe for fish bait!

21955712992_bb9e0c5f51_k.jpg

Mini-WSM low and slow 180°-200°, kiawi and cherry wood for smoke

21779765460_6adc4b870e_k.jpg

I've never tasted Char Siu. It looks gorgeous Case! Which from ingredients of the marinade will cause this tint of red?

Wow Case, that Char Sui is awesome. Hope you get pic's of tonights meal. Anything involving Chinese Mustard has got to be good!

That looks delicious! I've honestly never hears of char sui until now I think. Is that some regional chinese food?

Looks tasty! I'm gonna have to try that myself, I love me some char siu in fried rice or noodles!

I've never tasted Char Siu. It looks gorgeous Case! Which from ingredients of the marinade will cause this tint of red?

Traditionally it is from fermented bean paste or red tofu, but more modern versions just use red food coloring.

That looks delicious! I've honestly never hears of char sui until now I think. Is that some regional chinese food?

Its the chinese BBQ pork. I have ahs it all over the US, so not regional.

- - - Updated - - -

WOw, looks pretty authentic! How long did you smoke it for?

I took it to an Internal temp of 150°, which took right around 2 hours.

Traditionally it is from fermented bean paste or red tofu, but more modern versions just use red food coloring.

That is corrrect. Finding fermented bean paste in my location isn't easy. For my homemade char sui I don't get the color as I don't add food coloring. The packet stuff always has it in there.

Wow that looks awesome! I never knew what those were called I use to eat them with the spicy mustard all the time or doused in rooster sauce. For some reason we don't get them in the Chinese food placed in this town so I haven't had them in years.

Back