CB redux....a bigger batch

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
The last batch of Canadian Bacon I made disappeared super fast, so this time I did about 9 lbs! :) Cut a whole loin into three pieces, weighed them, and used the diggingdogfarms calculator to figure my curing spices. The CB was in the fridge bagged for about 10 days, flipping every day (mostly.) This morning, I removed them from their bags, rinsed them, and then dusted very lightly with garlic powder and paprika. Then they sat to develop what pellicle they could while I got the 26" kettle going. I set it up with double stacked ring, and a 2x2 head on the snake. Used some small chunks of hickory and apple for smoke. The grill settled in really well at 150F with the lower vent wide open. After three hours, I lit the other end of the snake to bump the temp, and it rose to 220F slowly while the CB came up to 155F. Pulled it off the grill, cooled, and sliced (....and tasted, of course!) Turned out great, and it's all I can do to keep my daughters from snacking it all away faster than I can cut it up! ;)

Some pics:

IMG_6461.jpeg

IMG_6462.jpeg

IMG_6467.jpeg

IMG_6469.jpeg

I recognize my "baby" in those photos...my 2009 26.75" kettle. Glad you're giving it a good home. :D
It has become my go to grill, Chris. Extremely versatile for grilling and smoking, from larger loads to small. My neighbor asked me if I could only keep two of my grills, which would they be......WSM22 and 26'er! :)

R

It has become my go to grill, Chris. Extremely versatile for grilling and smoking, from larger loads to small. My neighbor asked me if I could only keep two of my grills, which would they be......WSM22 and 26'er! :)

R
If I can sell my WSM and a green one touch kettle for a little money I’m going to sneak a 26” into the backyard.

Damn; those would be heaven on Eggs Benedict with ripe tomato slices! Of course, they're probably good no matter how you eat 'em, just as long as they make it to your mouth before they're gone.

Nice job, Rich!

@ Brad Olson, ok, I'm ready:

PORK ROLL (TAYLORS HAM)

Pork Butt......7lbs/3175g
Bacon.........3lbs/1361g
Kosher Salt....34g
Dextrose.......18g
Cure#1.........10.5g*
White Pepper...11g
Port...................2 TBL
Encapsulated Citric Acid (ECA)......17g-34g**
*Less needed due to cure present in bacon
** Level of tang; adjust to taste.

1. Partially freeze bacon & pork
2. Grind bacon & pork through medium plate
3. Mix pork, bacon & all spices, cure & port-except for the ECA.
4. Regrind the mixture with a fine plate (3mm) -if smoother consistency is desired.
5. Add ECA & mix well before stuffing.
6. Fry a sample & adjust seasonings if necessary
7. Stuff into 3"+ fibrous casings or muslin sack(s).

SMOKE
Prewarm smoker to 120°
Hang chubs for an hour or so to dry.
Smoke at 130-150° for 3-4 hours until IT reaches 125° or higher.

POACH
Poach in 165° water bath until IT hits 152°
Drop in ice bath & keep them there until IT reaches 100°
Refrigerate overnight to firm before slicing.

Back