Caveman Style Rolled FLank Steak

J Pichey

TVWBB Fan
I was a judge at a recent cook off and one of the "OPEN" entries was a great stuffed rolled up flank steak. I thought I would give it a shot and cook it CAVEMAN style directly on the coals.

Started with grilled onions, mushrooms, blue cheese and some serrano peppers. These things are HOT!!

IMG_1828_zpsc232632d.jpg

Rolled them up and put a few toothpicks in place. Seasoned them with some Bourbon and brown sugar seasoning.

IMG_1836_zps33bd5b43.jpg

Fired up the chimney with some Lump.

IMG_1859_zps3c7a5a87.jpg

Ready to go.

IMG_1883_zps520af6ff.jpg

Threw them on the LUMP.

IMG_1893_zps0add59ee.jpg

They turned out OK. A little under done in the middle. Next time, I will finish them off in some foil and finish the cooking process. The outside was getting a little more done than I like.

IMG_0996_zps6532ddf5.jpg

Awesome. Way to give it a shot.

Next time i'd say assemble the wsm, throw in some mesquite, and put it on the top rack for a beer or two until done. Love the stuffing.

That caveman style thing has been on my list for a long time, I'd say you did pretty good, nothing wrong with some rare steak.

Can you explain this to me? Why do this? Does eating ash seem like a good idea?

Hey Alan,

I thought the exact same thing and needed some explanation as well at first. The key is using Lump instead of regular charcoal. This does not ash on the meat. It does not ash like regular charcoal. There are no ashes at all on the meat. I've cooked a few rib eyes this way and they come out great!!! If you have some lump, give it a shot. I googled Steven Raichlin Caveman Steaks and this is what I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGpQg6DWvAY Pretty cool. He explains it much better than I do.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I love the recipe, but I'd put 'em over the coals on the kettle. Butt that's just me.

Flank is a dense steak. I've cooked it hundreds of times - my favourite beef by far. IMO best with a 24 Asian marinade.

1/3 cup soy
2 tbsp hoisin
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice plus the zest of a lime
3 chopped garlic cloves
1 tbsp sirracha sauce
Chunk of ginger (best frozen then grated on a micro plane)
Fresh cracked pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix and throw in a large ziplock with a big flank steak. 24 hour bath and then a hot grill. Serve rare, sliced across the grain.

I have pork chops on the grill right now with the same marinade. :D

That's an idea. I may try that next time. But it's hard to wait when your 6 beers in and starving. :) I will just add the grate next time and finish them on indirect.

is it caveman if you cook it on a charcoal chimney? that is a hot fire for sure. puts a great sear on the meat.

Back