Cast Iron Skillet

IMG_0914.jpg

I don't look at this forum much, but I'm glad I saw this! On the to-do list!

Sorry for the late reply fellas: the dough was el chepo from a tube. We were camping/tailgating at the Atlanta Speedway. Pretty easy to do - just flop it in, put on some sauce, meat and cheese, and slap onto the grill. cheers!

I'm a little late with a responce, but I always cook bacon first in a new cast iron skillet. Just sayin. The only thing to remember is to not cook acidic foods in seasoned cast iron.

Me too. The lodge "pre seasoning" is good but it's more of a base coat than the final product you'll get after using it for a while. And bacon fat seems to have a remarkable ability to build up a really nice surface. Also if, after cleaning, you put on a really thin coat of oil and heat it until it just starts to smoke and then kill the heat it'll help as well. Basically just keep doing that any time something sticks and after a while nothing will stick.

Sorry for the late reply fellas: the dough was el chepo from a tube. We were camping/tailgating at the Atlanta Speedway. Pretty easy to do - just flop it in, put on some sauce, meat and cheese, and slap onto the grill. cheers!

This looks great. I've done pizza before, but never without a lid. Did you cover with foil or something?

I have one of those grill pans that have the raised parts for making grill marks. It is perfect for bacon. The raised parts allow the bacon to drain some and makes the pieces less greasy.

Any of you guys ever tried searing your steaks in a CIS directly on the coals?

I haven't done it on coals but I'll cook them in the CI inside if conditions outdoors warrant it.
Will heat the oven up to 500° with the CI in the oven.
When it's up to temp and holds for about 10 minutes, take out the skillet, put it on a burner on med.
Sear one side for 30 seconds, then another and then throw the skillet back in the oven for a couple of minutes on each side until desired temp is reached.

I think I got that from Alton Brown's Good Eats...

I haven't done it on coals but I'll cook them in the CI inside if conditions outdoors warrant it.
Will heat the oven up to 500° with the CI in the oven.
When it's up to temp and holds for about 10 minutes, take out the skillet, put it on a burner on med.
Sear one side for 30 seconds, then another and then throw the skillet back in the oven for a couple of minutes on each side until desired temp is reached.

I think I got that from Alton Brown's Good Eats...

Thanks, Scott. Just wondering if that could be a flare-up proof way to reverse sear ribeyes, but in retrospect, the Missus would probably object and say something about putting it upside my head.

Amazon had a lightning deal on the Lodge 12" this morning for $14.97, $4 off normal.
I grabbed one.
The deal may be over, but if you read this soon, it's worth a check.

Any of you guys ever tried searing your steaks in a CIS directly on the coals?

I haven't, cause I read that thermal shock can warp or crack a CIS. If you pre-heat, it should be fine. I've used my Lodge griddle pan on the grate over the coals while the steaks are going indirect, than spin the grate and add the meat on the pan. The residual heat has enough to build up a nice sear.

Tim

I haven't, cause I read that thermal shock can warp or crack a CIS. If you pre-heat, it should be fine. I've used my Lodge griddle pan on the grate over the coals while the steaks are going indirect, than spin the grate and add the meat on the pan. The residual heat has enough to build up a nice sear.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I was kind of thinking that it probably wasn't a good idea.

I've seen Raichlen do it on his "Cave man Steaks" video so I can't say it's not a good idea, just I never tried it.:)

Tim

Yeah, I saw that video. Dude's over the top some times. There's no way I'd cook a t-bone like that, and even though I can take stuff pretty dern hot...put that jalapeno (seeds and all) "hell-fire" sauce on a t-bone? Heck, no.

I got a couple new lodge pans for Christmas. I decided to put a little more seasoning on them before using.

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1709.jpg

The Weber cast iron insert has 8 coats. The 2 lodge pans are at 6. At 8 you get that nice black shine.

Back