Cast Iron Pizza on the SmokeFire

SteveF (Alpine)

TVWBB Fan
I know, I know another cast iron pizza? For this one we started with a couple armfuls of fresh basil, which we made into pesto. Grilled a chicken thigh on the SF and rested and sliced. Next we formed the dough, “sauced” generously with the fresh pesto and added red bell peppers, red onions and a combination of havarti and mozzarella cheeses. Put it in the SF and waited (im)patiently... I’m not gonna lie, this may be the best pizza we’ve ever made, period and we’ve probably made 50 plus pizzas. It certainly was to me last night.

7FF3D1EB-93C1-40FC-A8C2-D9B3D8EABDE0.jpeg

1BEA04DD-1A78-4092-991B-67A3394CA76D.jpeg

9E148CF4-9D74-4243-872C-2BD7C1E3F7FB.jpeg

EC5CACFF-A983-4547-AE7A-8D4BCCDAA59D.jpeg

04623776-878F-4AAD-B2C3-D1E3A5A823DE.jpeg

A84C4BB2-1362-4383-8D5A-53E2561DCFFF.jpeg

You guys are putting pizza pressure on me. (Was going to make that an acronym but used my better judgement). Anyway, I need to make some pizzas and hope they come out half as good as that!

I can understand why you would think that's the best pizza you've made. If it tastes anything like it looks WINNER!
Got a boat load of fresh basil and an army of cast iron pans, going to give it a try.
Care to share your pesto recipe?

What dough are you using? I have to give this a try.
This was just store bought dough we sometimes buy from our local Baron's market when we're feeling lazy or spontaneous. If you want to go down a pizza dough rabbit hole, I wholeheartedly recommend Fidel Montoya's youtube channel!

I can understand why you would think that's the best pizza you've made. If it tastes anything like it looks WINNER!
Got a boat load of fresh basil and an army of cast iron pans, going to give it a try.
Care to share your pesto recipe?
Thanks, we really appreciate it! Happy to share any recipe, but alas, I'm not really a recipe kinda guy. Here goes for 2-3 cups :
  • pick and clean a huge bunch of basil keeping just good leave and tossing flowers and stems(our sink is about 28" wide for reference)
  • pack the basil in the food processor and start by pulsing while adding EVOO (keep adding EVOO as you go to get the consistency you like)
  • Toast about 1 cup of pine nuts per two cups of finished pesto and toss 'em into processor until you get the taste you like (that's pine nut heavy by most recipe standards, but we really like it that way)
  • mince about 4 large cloves and add to processor (adjust to taste)
  • about 3 oz. grated parmigiano reggiano (also to taste)
  • S&P to taste
  • That's it! Sorry it's vague, but I kinda live by the seat of my pants in the kitchen :p

Thanks, we really appreciate it! Happy to share any recipe, but alas, I'm not really a recipe kinda guy. Here goes for 2-3 cups :
  • pick and clean a huge bunch of basil keeping just good leave and tossing flowers and stems(our sink is about 28" wide for reference)
  • pack the basil in the food processor and start by pulsing while adding EVOO (keep adding EVOO as you go to get the consistency you like)
  • Toast about 1 cup of pine nuts per two cups of finished pesto and toss 'em into processor until you get the taste you like (that's pine nut heavy by most recipe standards, but we really like it that way)
  • mince about 4 large cloves and add to processor (adjust to taste)
  • about 3 oz. grated parmigiano reggiano (also to taste)
  • S&P to taste
  • That's it! Sorry it's vague, but I kinda live by the seat of my pants in the kitchen :p
Thanks Steve.

This was just store bought dough we sometimes buy from our local Baron's market when we're feeling lazy or spontaneous. If you want to go down a pizza dough rabbit hole, I wholeheartedly recommend Fidel Montoya's youtube channel!
No I don’t!! Lol, I’m even happier knowing that’s store bought!! I will try this next weekend!

Wow! did we get a shock! Went to Sprouts to get some pine nuts almost fell over $22.00 a pound. Said nope and when we were at Safeway we were able to get what we needed for under $5.oo

Wow! did we get a shock! Went to Sprouts to get some pine nuts almost fell over $22.00 a pound. Said nope and when we were at Safeway we were able to get what we needed for under $5.oo
Yeah, bigger sticker shock than macadamias or marcona almonds. We get them at Costco and keep the bulk in the freezer. They’ll last for years in the freezer even though you’ll read that they won’t.

I hear you, Rich. The real-deal Italian pine nuts are crazy expensive. These days I'm using cashews or almonds for pesto. There's a ton of more affordable pine nuts out there but they're produced in China and have a metallic aftertaste, fwiw.

I hear you, Rich. The real-deal Italian pine nuts are crazy expensive. These days I'm using cashews or almonds for pesto. There's a ton of more affordable pine nuts out there but they're produced in China and have a metallic aftertaste, fwiw.

Thanks for the heads up about the China nuts and the cashews and almonds. We did pick up some slivered almonds at sprouts as a substitute for the pine nuts just in case.

There's a tiny little Italian joint here that does a sausage basil pesto pizza which is wicked good. I bet that pie of yours is right up there. It's a flavor profile that more people should figure out is awesome on pizza for sure.

Back