Cast iron grate

Haha very familiar with this BS they pull.
I’ve heard you call it the Bruce effect, I always felt they were watching me!!

Are these as heavy as the original cast iron grates that came with the 1000 series? The ones that weren't porcelain coated.

Would love to know how these compare to those. And how the experience of cooking on them compares the very best stainless steel grates.

I needed new grates for my Silver B so I bought these on Amazon based on all the positive comments here. Haven't gotten them in yet. I am very curious about the wok feature. All the other accessories seem like they could sit on top of the grates just as well.

I needed new grates for my Silver B so I bought these on Amazon based on all the positive comments here. Haven't gotten them in yet. I am very curious about the wok feature. All the other accessories seem like they could sit on top of the grates just as well.
Scott,
I actually have an unused wok. I believe it sets down partway in the circle with the rest above. If you need one, PM me because I don't see using it.

Scott,
I actually have an unused wok. I believe it sets down partway in the circle with the rest above. If you need one, PM me because I don't see using it.
Will talk to the wife and get back to you. We have a regular kitchen wok that I was thinking of using.

I'm wondering how easy or hard these are to keep clean. Comparing to grates with just front-back rows of CI it would seem like these would get gunked up a bit.

Yes, I suppose that there is a downside to the cool factor that the crosshatch grate brings. Unquestionably harder to keep clean.

Yes, I suppose that there is a downside to the cool factor that the crosshatch grate brings. Unquestionably harder to keep clean.
Cast iron anything is a labor of love, in my view. If you are not really into it, it's probably better to go in a different direction. It's been around forever, just about, and with minimal care it will serve you well.

Scott,
I have an unused one as well, I’m sorry I can not recommend the GBS wok it was a sticky mess for me.

Cast iron anything is a labor of love, in my view. If you are not really into it, it's probably better to go in a different direction. It's been around forever, just about, and with minimal care it will serve you well.
I love cast iron and believe it IS worth the extra effort. I think, though, that cleaning conventional cast iron grates with straight bars is a lot easier than getting between the grid openings of a cross-hatch sear grate. I still think they are a cool idea, though!

I love cast iron and believe it IS worth the extra effort. I think, though, that cleaning conventional cast iron grates with straight bars is a lot easier than getting between the grid openings of a cross-hatch sear grate. I still think they are a cool idea, though!
Me, too. Something about cast iron, I don't know, maybe it's part of our genetic code after so many years.

No, just us old farts unable to accept change and progress. Unless you are a lazy old fart like me and prefer Stainless Steel solid rod grates.

I can't wait until they start selling grates with that "Copper" non-stick coating on them. hahaha

No, just us old farts unable to accept change and progress. Unless you are a lazy old fart like me and prefer Stainless Steel solid rod grates.

I can't wait until they start selling grates with that "Copper" non-stick coating on them. hahaha
There's something so satisfying about the heft and indestructibility of cast iron. Plus it heats so evenly and cooks so well.

My wife would be up down (as our grandson would say) for that. She swears by that Gotham Steel stuff. We bought ours at Costco so as long as she's happy I'm happy.

No, just us old farts...
Proud to be! I can wear mismatched clothes, walk around in lounge pants, wear hospital socks with sandals, got a little dribble on my shirt, don't have to worry about how I look or even bother combing what little hair I have left. Nobody cares! OFP (Old Fart Privilege) ROCKS!

Last edited:
So I got the grates last night from Amazon. Bare cast iron with no coating whatsoever. I think the box was marked 17 pounds, so they are pretty heavy. I think I paid $36 or $39. They fit perfectly in my Silver B. I do not plan to grill for awhile because of the cold, so I brushed some veggie oil on them and baked them in the oven at 350 for awhile to season them.

My regular carbon steel kitchen wok fits perfectly into the hole in the grate. My only concern using it would be if the wooden handles (which now sit close to the grate) would get too hot and catch fire or something. That may be the genius of the Weber wok design - no wooden handles. When I get around to it, I will see what else I have as far as cast iron frying pans, dutch ovens, etc. that will fit neatly in the hole in the grate.

My suggestions would be to bring these in for the winter to reduce the chance of rust and also to keep the original box to store them in during the off season.

Weber also seems like they are marketing a new and improved gourmet BBQ system, so my next pondering is what current accessories this grate might be compatible with.

My suggestions would be to bring these in for the winter to reduce the chance of rust and also to keep the original box to store them in during the off season.
Or keep using them all winter long. Grilling doesn't have an off season. Just a high and low season in some areas.

I don't think any of the new interchangeable items will fit in that opening except maybe the wok. There are plenty of Weber GBS items floating around for sale and even some non-OEM versions.

Back