Cast iron grate

Or keep using them all winter long. Grilling doesn't have an off season. Just a high and low season in some areas.
I didn't say not to grill. There are other grates and other grills. I am just wary of leaving bare cast iron outside for months because mine always seems to get rusty.

Scott, I agree that if you aren't using it very regularly, you don't want to leave cast iron sitting in a grill out in the elements. I have taken to swapping out cast iron for GrillGrates in the winter on my regular use Skyline 2-burner. When I get a 3-burner operational I will probably do similarly, maybe switching between cast iron in the warm weather and stainless rods in the winter. With either quality stainless or GrillGrates, you don't have to worry about rust.

Bruce, the Weber "Crafted Outdoor Kitchen Collection" has this drop-in grate that the accessories sit on top of. I don't know the dimension of the round hole. It is possible that it can still use the original "GBS" accessories, but it doesn't look that way to my eye. The big improvement the "Crafted" line brings is larger items like sear grates and griddles. The small round circle version on the GBS really didn't give you all that much room to work with.

I don't care how well you season cast iron. It will rust in outdoor environment. No ifs ands or butts. I tried and tried and tried. But bare CI cannot withstand it

@Scott Smith,
So, if someone was so inclined, could they buy TWO sets of these grates and recombine into one set with straight bars and one with both sides having the crosshatch pattern? Looking at the pictures, it isn't entirely clear that if you did this the center round piece would still fit and be held up.

I would be interested to see what you think since you have them in your hands to look at them closely.

@Scott Smith,
So, if someone was so inclined, could they buy TWO sets of these grates and recombine into one set with straight bars and one with both sides having the crosshatch pattern? Looking at the pictures, it isn't entirely clear that if you did this the center round piece would still fit and be held up.

I would be interested to see what you think since you have them in your hands to look at them closely.
I checked this out and I expect it would work exactly as you describe. The two halves exchange to either side of the grill and when one side is inverted, the half circles still match up. No problems holding up the center, either. Both halves have the same type of lip.

Obviously, the circle in the middle will always be double-sided.

Also, a "feature" of these grates is that they do not sit directly on the grill. Rather, each grate is supported by four small "feet" that are cast into the corners. I have read that cast iron grates that sit directly on a grill tent to rust around that bearing edge. The feet lift the grates up a fraction of an inch to eliminate rust in that area.

Scott,
Thanks for that info. I am not saying I would do that, but I have looked at those in the past and thought it would be nice if you could make both sides cross-hatch, at least for some cooking scenarios. I have a center all cross-hatch GBS insert, but I am sure it wouldn't match with this grate's pattern.

When things warm up, I know we will all look forward to seeing you put this cool grate into action. I might beat you to it, though:D!

Back