Cars Cars Cars

3500 SRW Laramie, 2015 6.7 turbo diesel, 6 speed auto. Anderson Hich gets 14 to 16 mph towing at 75 mph less in mountains.
Towing that big trailer? That's awfully impressive.

If I may politely offer a suggestion, always run Dodge/Cummins oil and both fuel filters. These common rail engines are very sensitive to fuel quality, and in years past, oil filters had a problem of coming apart under 80psi oil pressure. Personally (I have a '12 with a 6spd stick,) for the price of OEM filters compared to the cost of a long block or injectors (about $600 EACH,) I will always run the OEM filters.

Zoom says it’s a 3500 Cummins. I’ll guess it’s an auto, 68 or Aisin
He said a few minutes ago a 6spd auto, that'd be the 68. IIRC, the Aisin HD is an 8spd and supposedly a derated MDT (which should be on par with the big Allison offered in the GM world,) nearly bullet-proof in these applications. Oh, and the Aisin comes with almost a $3k premium over the 68rfe transmission.

He said a few minutes ago a 6spd auto, that'd be the 68. IIRC, the Aisin HD is an 8spd and supposedly a derated MDT (which should be on par with the big Allison offered in the GM world,) nearly bullet-proof in these applications.
I missed the second page and didn’t see his response until after posting haha.

Nope, both the 68RFE and Aisin are 6 speeds. The 8HP in the gassers for ‘19+ is a ZF. I’ve still got my fingers crossed they go to the 9 speed Allison for the 5th gen trucks. Cummins, Allison, trucks will literally fly off the lots.

I missed the second page and didn’t see his response until after posting haha.

Nope, both the 68RFE and Aisin are 6 speeds. The 8HP in the gassers for ‘19+ is a ZF. I’ve still got my fingers crossed they go to the 9 speed Allison for the 5th gen trucks. Cummins, Allison, trucks will literally fly off the lots.
Hrrrm... thought the Aisin had a couple more gear sets.

No kidding that a Cummins with an Allison would be a dream combination. I'd be surprised if GM doesn't try to torpedo that business (yeah, we'll ignore some interference issues....)

As much as I'd like a new truck..... the price on the new diesels would make me cough up a lung. I haven't had a car payment in 20 years now, and that sort of spoils me. My '12 doesn't get much use in the summer and working remote has really reduced winter travel (using a '99 Civic for a fair weather commuter.)

Hrrrm... thought the Aisin had a couple more gear sets.

No kidding that a Cummins with an Allison would be a dream combination. I'd be surprised if GM doesn't try to torpedo that business (yeah, we'll ignore some interference issues....)

As much as I'd like a new truck..... the price on the new diesels would make me cough up a lung. I haven't had a car payment in 20 years now, and that sort of spoils me. My '12 doesn't get much use in the summer and working remote has really reduced winter travel (using a '99 Civic for a fair weather commuter.)
The prices are insane. But, a new dually Max Tow package, with the Allison would be a must-do. My last new vehicle is my ‘07 Dodge, but it’s in the heavy mod category and not such a great daily/reliable/tow rig. Big injectors and three turbos does that🤣

I’m not sure GM could do anything about it. They no longer run an Allison, it’s a GM-built, co-developed with Ford, Allison-branded unit. GM and Ford did all the development and build them.

I've never bought a new vehicle. I bought my '12 CTD at 2 years old with 34k miles on it, and the '94 Heep in '97 with a little under 40k miles. It rides a LOT better than my old '99 CTD (5spd) but that thing was starting to drive me crazy with the rear axle (couldn't keep axle seals in it and kept losing rear brakes.) There are days I regret selling it (like every time I fill up the '12, went from 19-20 mpg down to about 15.) The '12 had better out of the box torque, and honestly..... I doubt I'll ever come near to taxing it.

Having said all of that, Dad bought a '99 3500 CTD with the 5.9l gasser and the NV4500 stick. It's still in use on the farm, primarily for heavy use 3 weeks out of the year hauling cherries. I've personally scaled the rig at a gross weight of over 36k lbs. It won't get anywhere fast, but by golly, that 5.9l and the low gears in the trans will get the job done. Dad really wanted a diesel but ended up with the gasser (that's a story for a pint.)

IMG_3010.med.JPG

That's about 20k lbs of light sweet cherries on that rig.

I also did not know that GM had both stopped using the Allison transmissions, and I thought they were still heavily invested in Allison (which might give them a route to dictate which customers to pay attention to.)

In order to get a car in high school, I had to make the honor roll. I finally accomplished
that at the end of junior year. So I was ready to find a car, and Dad added a limitation.
No V8 engines. So I found a used 66 Corvair Corsa with the turbocharged 6 cylinder.
It was lots of fun and I did not get into much trouble with it. Some days I wish that I had it back.

The prices are insane. But, a new dually Max Tow package, with the Allison would be a must-do. My last new vehicle is my ‘07 Dodge, but it’s in the heavy mod category and not such a great daily/reliable/tow rig. Big injectors and three turbos does that🤣

I’m not sure GM could do anything about it. They no longer run an Allison, it’s a GM-built, co-developed with Ford, Allison-branded unit. GM and Ford did all the development and build them.
Yes prices are outrageous, I bought this 2015 3500 Larime with 102000 on it for a little less than half of what a new truck would go for. It has been good for me my RV runs a little over 17000. Loaded, and it pulls it very well. Toughest it worked was up Hwy 17 out of Phoenix to Prescott it was a steep grade and stuck behind a line of trucks making the change from 1000' to just under 6000' in about 25 miles or so.

I do have a 2004 Thunderbird but while I enjoy looking at other's cars they just don't mean as much to me these days. I hope to bring myself to selling it someday.

DSC_2855_cs.jpg

Well, since this thread has resurfaced, here's one of my trucks... I still have it, though it's getting a little weathered and no longer looks quite this good. Someday I should do it over. It's a 1954 Dodge M37. I ran it for a number of years and used it as a pickup truck as well as for some offroad work - and even put it in some car shows. With a 230 flathead straight 6 and 5.89 gears it's nearly impossible to break any speed limits but it does pretty well offroad and it rides like a Lincoln (well... almost). Those are my Dad's unit numbers on the bumper (copied from "his" truck in a picture he had from Korea). Yeah, it gets about 9 MPG.

Attachments

• M37.png
    M37.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
I do have a 2004 Thunderbird but while I enjoy looking at other's cars they just don't mean as much to me these days. I hope to bring myself to selling it someday.

View attachment 84938
Or you could save it for your grandson...

A couple of months ago I picked up a warm weather ride. It's far from perfect and could probably bankrupt me if I went all out, but it's fun to drive and you just don't see many of them anymore.

Attachments

• 720813592.jpg
    720813592.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG953206.jpg
    IMG953206.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 9
Or you could save it for your grandson...

A couple of months ago I picked up a warm weather ride. It's far from perfect and could probably bankrupt me if I went all out, but it's fun to drive and you just don't see many of them anymore.
What year? 4popper? Stick or auto?

I drove an '85 GT with a 4spd in the '90s. I had a lot of fun with it.

It's a base model '85 with the mighty Iron Duke 4-cylinder (92 HP!) and a 5-speed; in fact, one of the reasons I bought it is the manual transmission. It'd been over 10 years since I'd last rowed my own and was really starting to miss doing so. It needs some sorting out but appears to be solid overall, and I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it this coming summer.

There are also a couple of other factors behind the purchase. Hopefully it's going to motivate me to clean out the garage in order to make room for it (it's in storage at my mom's right now), and to also make some improvements to my physical well-being. Getting in and out of a Fiero requires more than just a little flexibility, and when I first drove it I was surprised at how much less limber I've become. In fact, the day after I brought it home (probably around 75-80 miles) I was sore just from working the clutch! So I'm trying to add some stretching to my daily routine.

One thing I did learn is that 13" passenger car tires are rapidly becoming extinct. It has 13" wheels but the tires are 20 years old, so sometime in the next couple of months I'll trading be Tire Rack some money in exchange for a 15" wheel + tire package.

After I bought my GT, my sister & her kids all said in unison "We want to see you get in AND out of that car!" A buddy of mine had the firm opinion that the way to get in was to open the door, lay down on the ground and roll in. Honestly, I really wouldn't mind having that car back as a commuter.

You might have to change a speedo gear, but look into 14" rims, that's what were on my GT. Hopefully, that won't throw the gearing off too much.

Original tires are 185/80-13, and 195/70-14 and 205/60-15 are upgrades that wouldn't require any speedo changes. I've been looking for some decent original 14" Fiero wheels but they're more expensive than new aftermarket 15" wheels, and since I'm not overly concerned about correctness at this point (but there's always the possibility of scope creep) I'm leaning in that direction. Especially since I can get them with the correct backspacing/offset.

The Fiero was originally envisioned and designed as a commuter car, and I expect to be using mine for that. Currently my daily driver is 10 years old and since I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future, being able to keep some miles off of it and give it some TLC will be nice.

They're surprisingly affordable. You need to own one again.;)

Well, if'n yer thinkin' about NOT keeping it bone stock...... look into one of the Cadillac transverse V8 conversions.......

Well, if'n yer thinkin' about NOT keeping it bone stock...... look into one of the Cadillac transverse V8 conversions.......
Or a small-block Chevy. Or a turbo Buick 3800. ;)

Nah, everybody does that. I think it's more of a challenge to see how much I could actually wring out the 4-banger, although there are 2 swaps I'd think about: a Super Duty 4-cylinder if I could find one that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and an aluminum block Pontiac V-8. Which would probably cost me both arms and both legs, and therefore make driving slightly difficult.

Back