Carne Asada take 2 + Brisket + lesson learned

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
A few pics of my latest cooks.

My second attempt at Carne Asada, this time on my new Smokey Joe.
12974300213_3a8aca3ac6_z.jpg

Coals looking like they are ready
12974297933_d4300c7a67_z.jpg

Steak grilling on a sunny day
12974296453_a8f775996d_z.jpg

Chopped up
12974155535_471c0aa81b_z.jpg

In Tacos
12974573064_f174732c4a_z.jpg

BEST BRISKET EVER...
Not many photos of this, but this was the best brisket I have ever smoked.

The Smoker Bros - The big brother needs a good cleaning soon.
13130086704_e69e24eac2_z.jpg

After the smoke
13129912943_9f8eeeddf6_z.jpg

Sliced and chopped
13129793125_aa4f9da9dc_c.jpg

The "Bend"
13129801815_13a198bcb2_c.jpg

Lessons learned -

- Using the Smokey Joe instead of my Performer for the Carne Asada was a much better experience. I used a lot less fuel, cleanup was much easier, I also liked the heat of the Smokey Joe. For bigger cooks or indirect, the Performer will be the choice.

- The brisket I made was the juiciest, more tender brisket that I have ever made. I didn't do much differently this time, though I did apply the toothpick test instead of relying on the temperature probe. More importantly I got my meat from another source. The place near me has been on a downward spiral as far as quality. I made the switch to another place and have not been disappointed once. The meat quality matters! It isn't all the same. Especially with a something like brisket where the room for error isn't much.

Last edited:
Derrick

Not sure what's going on with Flickr, but your pics are showing up automatically. Had to right click and open in a new tab.

Otherwise, that Brisket looks great! As do the steaks! Great job!

Should be working now. Let me know if they aren't.

Thanks!

Derrick

Not sure what's going on with Flickr, but your pics are showing up automatically. Had to right click and open in a new tab.

Otherwise, that Brisket looks great! As do the steaks! Great job!

Lessons learned -

- Using the Smokey Joe instead of my Performer for the Carne Asada was a much better experience. I used a lot less fuel, cleanup was much easier, I also liked the heat of the Smokey Joe. For bigger cooks or indirect, the Performer will be the choice.

It is funny that you say this because I said almost the exact same thing about my 18.5 OTS and my 22.5 OTG!

Good looking cook!

Derrick, that's gotta be the BEST lookin' Brisket I've seen in 60 years!
Please send me some to verify my remarks;)
seriously, looks FANTASTIC!

I have that same small aluminum folding table, yours looks 'spankin' new, mine needs a cleaning BIGTIME!

Thanks everyone. That brisket was amazing. I will never buy meat from where I was buying. The new spot hasn't let me down yet. I am really looking forward to more and more smoking this summer.

Back