Canning BBQ sauce

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
I do not know if this is the right place to post this question. My question is can you can any BBQ sauce recipe? How long do you boil in a water bath for? I would like to can my BBQ sauce, because my recipe is a big one.

Problem with that is unless it's just straight sauce (no garlic, etc) it appears pressure canning is the recommended way (and thats why I only do sauce, no "extras") and add the garlic when I'm going to use it. I wanted to do the same as you but didn't because of that reason.

And some of those home canning sites are filled with mis-information. Be very careful if you are going to follow their advice, regardless of the claimed success.

I have been making and canning BBQ sauce for years. Actually had my own BBQ sauce company. I sold it several years ago. Anyway, if your sauce is ketchup or tomato based and you've added ingredients like honey, molasses, vinegar, spices etc. then all you have to do is bring it to a boil for a while and put it into ball jars. No boiling bath is required. Just fill the jars to within 1/4 inch from the top and put the lids on finger tight. When they're cooled completely, tighten the lids. It will be shelf stable for up to a year without refrigeration.

Ryan, I sterilize my jars in boiling water and then place them upside down in the oven at about 200 degrees give or take while I'm preparing the sauce. I do the lids and rings on the stove top in simmering water to sterilize. When the sauce is done simmering I use tongs to remove a hot jar, fill it with hot BBQ sauce, use my Ball canning magnet stick thing to lift the lid and ring out of the water and hand tighten. I then do a hot water bath for 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of my jars I'm using. The larger the jar the longer the hot water bath. I do not own a pressure canner, I merely do a simmer in the hot water and have never had trouble with sauce, pickles, salsas etc. Hope this helps, Ken

I think I may try this sauce today on my ribs. Thanks for sharing.
Len, also I can salsas etc with fresh garlic, onion, chili's, cilantro, etc etc without a pressure canner (just a hot water bath) and they have always turned out flawless. I even give them as gifts with rave reviews. I know people who have been canning in their families for generations and using no hot water bath at all. Just sterilizing the jars and hot packing them, and turning them upside down to cool. I'll let you guys know how this sauce turns out today, Ken

Thanks Ken. With all the warnings I found, it really put me off. Maybe I'll try again. Can you post some of your recipes/method in the "Other Recipes" forum?

Ball has an excellent book, “Complete Book of Home Preserving.” It contains 5 recipes for BBQ sauce, all processed with a water bath. You might compare your sauce with theirs. You can often find it in hardware stores near the canning supplies, or they can order it for you. Mine is copyrighted in 2012.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation., located at the University of Georgia has excellent and reliable information on a wealth of subjects such as freezing, fermenting, smoking, curing, pickles, jams/jellies, etc. (their yogurt instructions are excellent). It’s a good site to keep handy for reference. Choose “Can” on the left side under “How Do I?”

Or you could send your recipe to the Food Preservation Yahoo Group and Darlene will check out the safest timing for you. She is very knowledgeable and adamant about doing it right and safely. She doesn't hesitate to say when someone's recipe is unsafe. By the way, if you'd rather not publish your recipe, you can omit the quantities and list only the ingredients.

Rita

Last edited:
Len, I should have been a little clearer. The ones I canned were ones on the internet etc that others said they have canned with luck in the past. I haven't found that magic one yet that I feel meets my standards or tastes as "The One" but I have canned and used them until they were gone with no problems. I have some original ones that I also have questions etc as far as if they would be safe. People I know that "can" tell me I worry too much and as long as the lids seal I'm ok.
I'm especially concerned with ones with fruit in them. I made the one that George posted the link to above and wasn't crazy about the flavor. I doctored it up and am trying it on ribs tonight and am going to try canning some with my upgrades and additions. I think with my additions it would be a good all purpose for pork, beef, or chicken. I'll keep you posted, Ken

I have a pressure canner. I found it on Craigs List and it was inexpensive. I grow heirloom tomatoes and peppers. It is very useful in the Autumn. I would recommend looking into a pressure canner if you think you'll continue to want to put up sauce.

I have a top of the line Fagor pressure cooker I just need to by the insert for canning. I did hear it makes a big difference and is much safer. Ken

if your sauce is ketchup or tomato based and you've added ingredients like honey, molasses, vinegar, spices etc. then all you have to do is bring it to a boil for a while and put it into ball jars. No boiling bath is required. Just fill the jars to within 1/4 inch from the top and put the lids on finger tight. When they're cooled completely, tighten the lids. It will be shelf stable for up to a year without refrigeration.

Why do you have to do a hot water bath or pressure cook it? For all my canning (salsa's, pickles, jalapenos, etc.) I just pour the hot liquid into the jars and wait for them to seal. With all the vinegar and acid from the tomatoes and what I add is enough to preserve the contents in the jars?

Why do you have to do a hot water bath or pressure cook it? For all my canning (salsa's, pickles, jalapenos, etc.) I just pour the hot liquid into the jars and wait for them to seal. With all the vinegar and acid from the tomatoes and what I add is enough to preserve the contents in the jars?

Ryan,
I agree. What I am saying is that you do not have to boil the jars after putting the sauce into them but rather boil the sauce. It is all dependant on the pH of the ingredients.

Ken, it is my understanding that one should NOT try to can in a pressure cooker, even a large one. This comes up quite often in both a pressure cooker group and a food preservation group that I belong to and they are quite adamant about it. Here is a discussion group on the Ball jar Fresh Preserving site. You might get some information there:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/community/discussion.aspx

I did find some information from another well-respected source:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/pressurecookers.html

Rita

P.S. Additional information can be found using "USDA canning in a pressure cooker" in a Google search.

Last edited:
My error, I misunderstood my wife over the past 10 years or so. I just asked her and she said it is in fact a totally different unit, thanks. Also I don't think anyone is saying "you have to do anything" I just think the hot water bath is safer, more effective, and helps make sure you get a good seal, or so I've read. Ken

Len, sorry I misunderstood when Ken wrote "I have a top of the line Fagor pressure cooker."

Rita

It seems can and cook were used interchangeably in this thread. My post #5 does specify canning (maybe I should have said pressure cannery ?? ) so any confusion is completely understandable ;) I am just as guilty.

Last edited:

Back