Canceled Sirius XM

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well after 7 years I canceled Sirius XM. We've got Android Auto head units in both cars, I use Pandora and have their $5 month service "true" no commercials, unlimited skips, download play lists, very pleased plus I can make my own channels so I can listen to more of what I want to listen to. Just realized I was paying those thieves $40 per month per car! What a racket

We must subscribe to their low end service; we pay $7.80 out the door monthly and so far it has been painless to renew at that, or a very similar price each year.

Wife pays $6.99 per car for ours.
Pandora you can get for $4.00 per month if you pay yearly.

Wife pays $6.99 per car for ours.
Pandora you can get for $4.00 per month if you pay yearly.
Yeah, that is what I am doing with Pandora. Beware the cheap Sirius is a "come on". I was using the so called "cheap" service, and then when I went to check on my account(s) I found they'd started hitting me $40 month PER CAR! No warning, no email "Hey your subscription is going to renew at $XX per month. NOTHNG. Even the jerks at Comcrap (XFinity) give you that much!
Anyway I recently installed this device in my Highlander (which only has Bluetooth) and it's working just great with Pandora and I Heart radio apps. Funny thing about I Heart. If you listen to it directly on your phone or computer you get ad after ad after ad. But if you're streaming through a Google device or Android Auto no ads. Anyway in my Highlander I installed this thing and it works seamlessly. Almost like it was factory optioned
20240415_093931.jpg20240415_093947.jpg20240415_094002.jpg20240415_094006.jpg20240415_094032.jpg

Well after 7 years I canceled Sirius XM. We've got Android Auto head units in both cars, I use Pandora and have their $5 month service "true" no commercials, unlimited skips, download play lists, very pleased plus I can make my own channels so I can listen to more of what I want to listen to. Just realized I was paying those thieves $40 per month per car! What a racket
$40 x 2 cars = $80/mo.

$80/mo. X 12mos. = $960

$960/yr. x 7 = $6,720

Please tell me this isn’t so.

Beware the cheap Sirius is a "come on". I was using the so called "cheap" service, and then when I went to check on my account(s) I found they'd started hitting me $40 month PER CAR! No warning, no email "Hey your subscription is going to renew at $XX per month. NOTHNG. Even the jerks at Comcrap (XFinity) give you that much!
Never had that problem and been using XM and now Sirius XM for over ten years.
Most they ever wanted to charge me was $7.99 and we canceled and they gave us a better rate.
What are you saying, they offer different tiers?

Yeah, that is what I am doing with Pandora. Beware the cheap Sirius is a "come on". I was using the so called "cheap" service, and then when I went to check on my account(s) I found they'd started hitting me $40 month PER CAR! No warning, no email "Hey your subscription is going to renew at $XX per month. NOTHNG. Even the jerks at Comcrap (XFinity) give you that much!
Anyway I recently installed this device in my Highlander (which only has Bluetooth) and it's working just great with Pandora and I Heart radio apps. Funny thing about I Heart. If you listen to it directly on your phone or computer you get ad after ad after ad. But if you're streaming through a Google device or Android Auto no ads. Anyway in my Highlander I installed this thing and it works seamlessly. Almost like it was factory optioned
View attachment 89368View attachment 89369View attachment 89370View attachment 89371View attachment 89372
I've looked at those but could never figure out how they connect audio wise to the car. So, does it connect bluetooth to the car and then how do you connect your phone to it for Android Auto?

I've gotta applaud you. They are a PITA to try to cancel service with. I'm too nice. I had to get my wife to call them.
State of NY has filed a lawsuit against SiriusXM alleging fraudulent business practices by making to hard to cancel.

My g/f cancelled her subscription a few months ago. Been a LONG time since she's been that frustrated. I'd have make it really easy after the 2nd attempt to upsell me again: "If you say anything except for your subscription has been cancelled, sir, I will call the financial institution behind the card and place a block on your charges."

But satellite is the way of the future...there's no way people will have access to devices that stream any content of their choosing without beaming it up to space first...

There was a very narrow window where their product was revolutionary...that window has long since closed.

It came free with my truck. I literally never used it. I was always like "Well, I want to listen to this podcast..."

If you think of going back you should be able to get the full service for $5/mo for 1 year

The other trick is to pay with an AMEX gift card. Put $61 on it and then use it to pay...when they try to renew...won't go through.

If you think of going back you should be able to get the full service for $5/mo for 1 year
And see, herein lies the rub. Last time I renewed (less than a year ago) they gave me some great rate (IIRC like $10 per car per month). Somewhere down the line they switched it (even though it was a rate promised for a full year) and I would now have to go back over my CC statements to see when they pulled this bait and switch on me. And that $10 per car rate took me close to 2 hours haggling on the phone with their agent! I'm over that crap. The Pandora rate has no "gotchas" it's just about $4 month for yearly service fee. I can live with that. Sound quality is just as good as Sirius as well. And I can make my own channels (or do a "mix") which is what I do. So one minute you will hear Toby Mac, or Mandissa, the next Gordon Lightfoot, the next something from the 50's DooWop, then maybe a 60's hit, then Motown, Soul, Black Gospel, and so on. I love it. And my wife and I can both listen to different things. So honestly I love it

I've looked at those but could never figure out how they connect audio wise to the car. So, does it connect bluetooth to the car and then how do you connect your phone to it for Android Auto?
So here is how mine works. It connects through it's own WIFI signal to my phone. My phone stays connected to my car through BT. So if I go on the screen of the head unit and select I❤️Radio, the phone streams it to the car but the head unit controls the phone. If I decide I just want to listen to a Cubs game on AM, I simply turn off the car's BT stream, select AM670. If someone calls me I can use the head unit to answer the call, my steering wheel button, or what have you and it works as it always has. Pretty seamless. The unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJ9CWRVF?tag=tvwb-20 has a built in dash cam and 64Gb memory on constant loop, it also comes with a rear camera which I will mount when I have time. THat camera can activate the screen if you connect a trigger wire to the backup lights, but even if you don't the unit will constantly record on a loop from both cameras. It also has a G sensor. If it senses a collision or some abnormality it flags and saves the recording for later use. There are units like it (with fewer features or not same quality but functional) for as little as $80. Bottom line I am prett impressed

I have it in my pick up. Right now I have all 4000 channels as it's a new truck, but in 2 more months it goes back to the $11 "Mostly Music" plan
We like not having to agree on a CD or find a new radio station as we're travelling around
And some of the places we go to have ZERO cell service, so no streaming music

Hard to imagine anywhere with no mobile service in this day and age. Though, I am sure they exist. If it came to that, then plain old radio would do, or a simple memory stick with an MP3 assortment. But, I am sick of they (Sirius') sneaky underhanded tactics. Tired of having to call them every year and fighting with them for hours at a time to get a rate so many people seem to get so "easily". Maybe it's my music choices that makes what I choose more $$$ IDK. My "go to" stations were 50's Gold, 60's Gold, 70's on 7 and 80's on 8 Though I rarely listened to the 80s stuff. And I liked The Message and right next to that station IIRC channel 64 there is a Black Gospel station I love. That was the extent of what I ever used on it. I can get all this and more on Pandora, make my own mixes, and for a little over $4 a month I'll take my chances of not having cell service on some rare occasion. The hassles just were not worth it anymore to me. Kinda like cutting the cord to Xfinity and going with FUBO.

Just for the record, CD players are a rare item in new vehicles these days. As of 2021 most manufacturers started to phase them out, for what it's worth the Compact Disc is a dying format. Who would have guessed that vinyl sales have now surpassed CD's!

Back