Can you Paint the inside of your cookbox

John Sandak

TVWBB Member
Folks, can you paint the inside of your cookbox? not the Lid . Will Rust-Oleum Specialty High Heat Spray work, or is it toxic to use on the inside?
Thanks
John

Your cookbox was painted on the inside by the factory. They used a high heat powder coating process. You can find a company that can replicate the process, but it may not be cheap.

@John Sandak, post up a picture of what the inside of your lid looks like (assuming it's the greenie you just got?) The resto experts here can tell you the best way to get it back to showroom new. The good news is that the original porcelain enamel coating cleans up great! If you have black flaking stuff on your lid, that's not paint, it's carbonized grease.

R

Hi @Rich G
Its not the lid, it was the inside of the cookbox, Being a newbie i didn't know any better so i painted it. guess ill be looking for another bottom are a sandblaster or media blaster

Best
John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.30.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.30.47 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Hi @Rich G
Its not the lid, it was the inside of the cookbox, Being a newbie i didn't know any better so i painted it. guess ill be looking for another bottom are a sandblaster or media blaster

Best
John
Ah, bummer! Yeah, media blaster should be able to fix that up if you can't find a donor. I think most of us don't look to get the cookbox too clean since it's going to get greasy again (unless you're flipping it.) Just a wire wheel on the drill to get the crusty stuff out, toss in burners and flavor bars, and get it dirty again! :)

Sorry about that, John, hopefully you can find a solution.

R

I'm wondering if you can burn it off with a a propane torch, in a well ventilated area. I'd Torch it to damage the paint then remove the paint with a paint stripping wheel? I'm just thinking out loud. Of course, remove the cook box from the frame and everything else first.

what do the experts say? @Bruce

I'm wondering if you can burn it off with a a propane torch, in a well ventilated area. I'd Torch it to damage the paint then remove the paint with a paint stripping wheel? I'm just thinking out loud. Of course, remove the cook box from the frame and everything else first.

what do the experts say? @Bruce
I vote for sandblasting the inside of the cookbook to get back to the bare cast aluminum.

John, find a sand blaster service, take the box and the end caps from the lid over and have them cleaned up. Then, bring them home and mask off the inside and paint the exterior surfaces only.
The end caps come off very easily and the superior job that a sand blaster will give you will be well worth it! I have two sets of end caps I want to have blasted, the maroon one that is my daily driver and the blue one that is the backup (spare) from the silver B that’s been out on loan for a couple of years. Sadly DIL has not taken very good care of it, so, I’m going to send the cook box and frame to the happy grilling grounds and salvage the blue lid.

Your cookbox was painted on the inside by the factory. They used a high heat powder coating process. You can find a company that can replicate the process, but it may not be cheap.
I don’t believe that is true of Weber grills. The inside comes as just plain aluminum as far as I can tell. Any grill I have restored only had grease inside, no sign of powder coating.

Exactly Jon, bare aluminum inside Weber never powder coated as far as I know, all high temperature paint or enameled porcelain for lids on gas grills. Enamel inside and out for kettles or go anywhere units.

I'm sure you guys are right about that. I would have sworn that the inside came painted, my poor memory at work!

You will see some over spray on Weber grills inside the cook box, but it is minor and not near the flames. I know of no Weber grill cook boxes that came fully painted from the factory.

Thanks All for your feedback.
I found a guy that will sandblast the lid end caps inside, and the inside of the cookbox for $60 buxs. This grill has solid bones and worth it IMO.
I just have to figure out now how to remove the sides of the lids.
The project continues on lol.

J

Last edited:
John, take the end caps off, have the guy blast the whole shooting match, it’s 7/16 socket, I think. Don’t rush!
It’s really wise to listen to directions from guys lik Bruce and Jon, they have burned a ton of time making all the tasks which lay ahead look easy. No reason to work harder, work smarter.

Take your time and these “Masters” share a lot of interesting and, time saving, learning experience. Ask before you start down a road untraveled and, the time and labor saving knowledge will make your life much more enjoyable. Trust me!

Hey All,

Hope your having a good weekend. Thanks for the tip on the 7/16" socket to use to remove the side panels of the Lid. Worked great. Now the cookbox and lid sides are ready to be Sandblasted on Monday.

I do appreciate all your assistance through this project. Stay tuned.
Best,
John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 7.34.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 7.34.15 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Hey All,
I took the sides off of my green head and found this rust. I need suggestion on how to fix this before I put the blasted covers back on. Looking for recommendations going forward.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.28.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.28.11 PM.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 22
That likely would never develop into a big enough problem for a long long time, but if you are worried, I suggest cleaning it up real well and hitting it with a bit of High Heat spray paint. It doesn't matter much what color since it will be covered by the end cap any way.

Back