Can someone explain to me Harry Soo's no water in the pan method works?

Andrew Luis

TVWBB Fan
Hi everyone!

I am new here. Started a new thread introducing myself here. :)
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?48358-Hello-from-Alexandria-VA-Probably-first-Bolivian-member

With taht said, I am a NEWB when it comes to smoking. After doing a ton of reading...I want to go the Harry Soo root (cause I am lazy) and use no water in the pan. How does that exactly work? I know from the lack of moisture, it will make the bark form faster...and probably better (thinking of pork butt)--but after doing my first test run today with no food, just apple/hickory and KBB going SUPER hot to burn any manf. residue...I can see issues controlling the temp. by not running any water.

How does Harry keep the temps under control wtih no water? What am I missing here?

Any tips?

After a few cooks, the cooker will build a seasoning. This helps. Closing the lower vents to nearly closed will control it once seasoned.

I also use the top vent up to 50% and the bottoms almost closed no water.

Gotcha.

How do you recommend I season my WSM? I've bought 2 lbs of bacon. Planning on smoking 1lb tomorrow morning for breakfast. How long should one smoke bacon for? Harry recommended using fat, so I've decided to try bacon!

What do you recommend?

Anything with a fare amount of fat. A fattie, chicken, pulled pork, etc all are pretty high fat that will "splatter" the inside. Some folks say seasoning is not required but I did both my cookers and Harry does his. The bacon itself won't take long but I recommend wrapping it around some you will eat.

Welcome, from just down the road. (LoCo)

Just cook on the thing and the seasoning will come. Nothing magical about it. :) The more you cook, the better it'll get. So, a 12 hour pork butt will help more than a 2 hour chicken.

You probably had a tougher time controlling the temps because 1) it's new 2) there's nothing for the heat to cook. Again, just use the thing and it'll get easier. Early on, I had a tough time controlling temps and one day - it just fell-into-place and I can't get over how stable it is now.

I believe Harry Soo uses the heat shield from under the smoker in the water pan. A lot of us no-water-in-the-pan smokers use a clay flower pot base. Do a search for that and you'll have reading material for days. lol

Hmmm.....interesting.

I may have some reading material tonight. :)

Any particularly good threads?

Also seen you post around here, Chad. Was going to reach out to you on how you've done some amazing work restoring stuff!!

Dwain, I think I may make a bath of Atomic Buffalo Turds now that you mention it...

Andrew,

Great information above. They are correct in that using it will 'automatically' build that seasoning.

Harry seasons his competition smokers specifically and strictly for the 4 KCBS meat used in competition. Even after the seasoning is completed, his competition smokers never see a whole list of items which would adversely affect that wonderful seasoning. I 'almost' followed this method to the letter and for the longest time only cooked the 4 meats. My wsm had a wonderful seasoning aroma. Then I deviated and cooked some meat that was not one of the 4 and also changed the type of charcoal I was using. Now my wsm no longer has that wonderful aroma that I had experienced earlier.

Is Harry's method for everyone ? I don't believe so. But I do believe it serves a specific purpose.

If I'm not mistaken Master Soo uses an ATC, so the need for a heat sink is not really needed. Depending on you're target temp, you might be better off using some type of sink till you build up some seasoning. I run 275 with just a empty foiled pan, with minimum fuss.

Tim

A heat sink like water, clay saucer, sand helps control and moderate temps cause it absorbs heat.
An ATC> Automatic Temperature Controller uses a small fan and a thermo to monitor pit temps and hold them at a predetermined set-point. The use of a heat sink is usually not needed, just an empty foiled pan.
Now don't read me wrong, some can hold 225-250 with a foiled pan by controlling temps with just the vents, but usually that's after the WSM has been in use for awhile and has a nice coating of seasoning.
I like to think of mine as having the look of a well seasoned cast iron pan.:wsm:

Tim

Andrew just go for it and you will soon learn that all the advice you got here will be crystal clear. The WSM is an amazing machine.

FWIW, I use my water pan dry, with some broken bricks sitting in it for mass. I put a concave foil (2 layers HD) lid over the pan to catch drips.

A heat sink like water, clay saucer, sand helps control and moderate temps cause it absorbs heat.
An ATC> Automatic Temperature Controller uses a small fan and a thermo to monitor pit temps and hold them at a predetermined set-point. The use of a heat sink is usually not needed, just an empty foiled pan.
Now don't read me wrong, some can hold 225-250 with a foiled pan by controlling temps with just the vents, but usually that's after the WSM has been in use for awhile and has a nice coating of seasoning.
I like to think of mine as having the look of a well seasoned cast iron pan.:wsm:

Tim
Thanks, Tim!

Thank you everyone for all the advice....I tend to over think things.....

I am sure I will get the hang of it after a couple of cooks. :p

Like others have said, it will season itself just by cooking. The first time or two, without water, it will start to settle. I just use a clay pot, never have used water. The clay pot is really just there to be a barrier between the fire and the meat as far as I'm concerned, as it is not much of a heat sink like water.......Make sure that your door is tight, might have to bend it a touch. I leave my top vents wide open, and as I approach my target temp, usually about 25-40 degrees from it, I will close all bottom vents to about 1/3 open, and keep adjusting until only one is open about that amount. Depending on desired temp range desire, will dictate the amount open or how much. I usually cook in the 225 to 275 range, and rarely have two part open... Use the minion method for the fire, I usually fill it up and use whatever is left over for the next cook. I foil the clay pot, and even lay another sheet on top of it to catch more drippings, and even foil an aluminum basket and foil it and put on the lover shelf, if not using it. I don't like to clean up a stuff.

I usually only refoil the clay pot when it get really nasty, maybe twice a year. Don't fret over the temp's varying a bit, not really gonna hurt your cook so that you will ever notice, heck, remember, most of what you cook will be much better than that bbq restaurant you "use" to go to....................After a few cooks, all will be goooooooooooooooooooood..........................d

Last edited:

Back