Can a WSM door just "fall off"?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
I have an older 18" WSM and last Sunday I was using it to cook a rack of very fatty ribs (Mangalitsa pork). At about the 4 hour mark I adjusted the fire and am positive I closed and latched the door properly, as it was still in place when I checked the temp at hour 5. However, when I went to check the temp an hour later I knew something was wrong as I could smell smoke and burning meat, and when I got to the WSM I discovered the door on the ground and a raging inferno inside, licking up the side through the door opening, and even flashing through the lid vent! The drop-in thermometer I used was toast and the plastic lid handle is nicely melted on one side, but those seem to be the only casualties (so far). And on the plus side, while the ribs looked like a lump of charcoal the fat had apparently protected the meat just enough so that the very center was still edible. We did eat more pasta salad than usual that night.;)

Any guesses as to what might've happened? The wind had shifted and was blowing directly at 1 of the bowl vents, but I can't imagine that could've knocked the door loose. Is it possible that because of time and use the latch has worn a little bit and gets loose when it gets hot? That's about all I can come up with at the moment.

I had that happen once ( mines an 08 ) I always try to make sure I turn the latch clockwise, the time I didn't (and went counter clockwise), I must of loosened up the threads enough to make the latch loose and prolly a gust of wind knocked it off.

Tim

I raised my Cajun Bandit door upwards once and unseated it from the bottom. I’ve been using the Weber door ever since.
It seems as though it would fit tighter as the cooker heated up.

Any guesses as to what might've happened? The wind had shifted and was blowing directly at 1 of the bowl vents, but I can't imagine that could've knocked the door loose. Is it possible that because of time and use the latch has worn a little bit and gets loose when it gets hot? That's about all I can come up with at the moment.

If tolerances are loose enough, I can see the door popping open during use. You may need to give the door and latch the "wiggle" test both cold and hot to see if it comes loose.

Yes they can fall off,,they usually don't because your careful setting it up and make sure it's seated properly and the latch is engaged when it's "cold"
But if it's hot and smoke is in your face and your hurrying to get it closed up again and you don't seat it in the slot or the latch isn't tight.....

Yep, it can happen, does not happen often but, it’s happened to me before, just double check yourself, too bad about the pork but, think of it as a good lesson.

I had that happen once ( mines an 08 ) I always try to make sure I turn the latch clockwise, the time I didn't (and went counter clockwise), I must of loosened up the threads enough to make the latch loose and prolly a gust of wind knocked it off.

Tim
I too have a WSM 18"(08) in which I replaced the original door with a new Weber one.

Back