Can’t get the temp up

HunterWils

I’ve done 3 cooks in my WSM, and for some reason, I can’t get the temp above 225°! I’ve tried the minion method, and the snake…and yes all vents are open. I’ve used lump charcoal, and brick…the last time I even went out and bought the Weber charcoal, to see if it would make a difference. I even tried not using water in the pan with no avail…Does anyone have any tips to remedy this. I’ve read nothing but good reviews on this smoker, but I have to say, I’m less than impressed.

That's the opposite of what many new WSM owners will experience. Typically, you have a run-away burn and temps skyrocket to the point it is nearly impossible to wrangle them back down.

Can't say I ever had this issue and the only things I can think of are...
  • are you POSITIVE all vents are wide open at the start? The bottom vents can be a challenge to see
  • Are you having any issue with lighting the charcoal to get the minion/snake going? In other words, the charcoal you're lighting in the chimney gets fully ashed over?
  • Are you giving the coals time to ignite once you drop the previously lit coals in the minion center or on the end of the snake?
  • Are you using foil on the water bowl? Is it possible it isn't wrapped tight enough and airflow bottom to top isn't obstructed by the foil?
I can't think of anything else that could inhibit the ignition and retard the temps...

How are you measuring the temperature? Post some pictures of each stage of your next cook focusing on the lighting process and how you measured the temperature. What you're describing is unusual.

Thermodynamics dictates that if you have enough hot coals with sufficient air flow the temperature will exceed 300+.

Just to be clear, I assume you are measuring in degrees Farenheit not Celsius.

I would question the thermometer. With all the vents open and a full bin of charcoal you should be in the neighborhood
of 300 to 350. When charcoal gets enough air ,temps are going to go up. And with all the vents open there is plenty of air for that to happen.

This is an odd experience!!! Is there package materials over the bottom vents? It could be a thermometer issue. If everything looks good on the cooker, I would look toward either a fuel or a air concern. I only use the snake with I want to keep in below 200 (to smoke Bacon). If you can not get it above 225 then added more lite coals as part of your minion method should help and may be the concern. Or if you crack the lid, or crack the door you should be able to get more oxygen which should get the fire going greater and get those temps up (I only have to do this is extreme situations, not normal cooking experiences). My WSM 14 settles in around 250 a couple hours into the cook and with some charcoals that is with two of the three bottom vents completely closed (and the top vent completely open). What size WSM do you have, how big of a minion method are you using, how are you lighting that minion method? I really hope we can help!!!!

I would question the thermometer. With all the vents open and a full bin of charcoal you should be in the neighborhood
of 300 to 350. When charcoal gets enough air ,temps are going to go up. And with all the vents open there is plenty of air for that to happen.
This was my thought. If he's relying on the built in thermometer then that could be where his issue is stemming from. My first cook I couldn't keep below 280 and that was with a water pan and vents (eventually) closed.

HW.
Next time you fire up the cooker stick an instant-read themometer into the top vent.
If everything is wide open, and the instant-read is good, then it points to a dodgy thermometer that it came with.

On my WSM 14 if I measure the temperature through the side of the grommet if it reads about 250 then the dome will usually read about 215-225 but that is only after at least one hour of cooking. I've also measured at the top grate itself and found that the grommet temp runs about 20 degrees hotter than the grate at least until the whole system has come up to temp. Eventually they seem to even out.

I've been able to hold a steady 215-225 (dome temp or 250 grommet temp) with two vents closed and one vent 1/4-1/3 open. Top completely open. I use BB charcoal with the minion method. I'll add about 10 lit coals and use 6 cups of water in a foiled pan. Once the temperature through the grommet reaches 180 the meat goes on with all vents open. When the temperature reaches 245 I start closing the vents. I know the grate temperature is cooler than this. I don't care about the smoke color.

Last edited:
Controlling temps is just controlling oxygen. If you can’t get your temps higher introduce more air. Make sure you’ve cleaned out old ash in the bottom so air can flow better, don’t overfill the charcoal grate either. Sometimes I have to burp the lid a bit - you can put a kabob skewer under one corner and that will allow for better air flow too. I’d also make sure your vents aren’t blocked and make sure the pit isn’t located in an area that inhibits air movement.

More lit charcoal = hotter. More oxygen = hotter.

Light up a full chimney of briqs. Make that two for good measure. Pour on top of a load of unlit. Ditch the water pan. All vents open. Then take the door off. Then (carefully) blow through the open door with a leaf blower or hair dryer. Then crack the lid open.

Unless your WSM is located at an Everest base camp, at some point your cooker will be hot. #Physics

: )

Back