Camp Brisket 2020 Trip Report

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
Chris A.,

I thoroughly enjoyed the article you posted about your trip to Camp Brisket. Thanks for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive and informative description.

When I first got into barbecue, I would read posts or hear interviews where folks would say to “always“ or “never” do certain things, with much of their advice contradictory. I wondered whether anyone had made an effort to “scientifically“ compare various techniques, woods, etc. Then I read Daniel Vaughan‘s Texas Monthly article a few years ago about the Texas A&M Camp Brisket and saw that they were trying to do just that.

I’m glad you got the chance to go this year, and thanks again for passing along some of the helpful information you learned.

P.S. I recently subscribed to Texas Monthly, mainly to read Daniel’s barbecue articles, and also because it has a lot of great general interest writing. Only $36 for 3 years of print and full online access. There are also less expensive options, but that’s a great bargain.

I've enjoyed it also, and I'm only half way through. Been really hectic around here.

I've also subbed to Texas Monthly to read Daniel Vaughn , I dig back into the archives regularly. When they went to a pay site, it was a no brainer to subscribe.

Just finished reading it this morning, tons of information about brisket that I had no idea about. I've only done a few briskets and have been fortunate as they all came out well.
Thanks Chris, for taking the time to writing your experience up, that had to be one big job. One take away I got was that pecan for smoke was the number one pick in flavor. I use a lot of pecan for everything but brisket.... go figure.
Going to try my next brisket on the Camp Chef and do a comparison between that and my 18.5 WSM as soon as I can find some pecan pellets.;).

I finished it this afternoon, excellent summation of two days of solid brisket. I really enjoyed that.

Wow love the write-up.

You must have a great memory or secretary to keep all the info in order along with names and all the chapters.
So much information there. Now I do not have to go to this year's Weber event. So similar. I went last year but had to skip the second day. Now I know which briskets won! Thanks!

Love the information on temperatures. Holding temperature, Re-heating temperature, and Slicing temperature. One question if I missed it. What temperature do people re-heat to?

Seen and mentioned here the single log technique. Interesting and works quite well.

Have seen them trim to way past an inch of their existence. It hurts. People actually squirm when they see how much is tossed.

Did people really get tired of eating brisket? Cause I was drooling reading this...

Again,
Thanks

Back