Calgary Brisket

f.nathan.walsh

TVWBB Member
Briskets are not common in Canada, and you typically need a specialty shop or order to get one. Does anyone know a place to purchase one in Calgary Alberta?

Briskets are not common in Canada, and you typically need a specialty shop or order to get one. Does anyone know a place to purchase one in Calgary Alberta?

Isn't that sad? You grow them there but you can't buy them there. And I say that with utmost sincerity as they are very difficult to find here as well.

Have you tried meat wholesalers? Sometimes they will sell to the public. Maybe ask if they'll take a special order from you.

There are two around here that I can buy from (but don't as they're too $$$ ).

Why would you buy in Calgary when you're in St A (I was in Morinville for 5 yr)? Barrhead is only an hour from you vs 3+hr to Calgary.

Try http://www.barrhead.ca/directory/barrhead-custom-meat-packers-1990-ltd ??

I've never had a problem getting briskets. Stay away from chain supermarkets and find your local butcher. It will be the best thing you ever do for your BBQ.

Find a real butcher, some guy with some red on his apron, he will take care of you. Then, take hi a sandwich of the finished product, gain a friend!
The better you get to know the guy, the more fun you will have.

For people in downtown Toronto (where I used to live), St. Lawrence Market has a number of good butchers who can accommodate your brisket needs. If you want to splurge, Cumbraes on Church sells only organic meat raised on farms that he partners in. The price is high but you can truly taste the difference. I've never purchased a brisket from them but I'm sure they can get them if you ask ahead.

Sorry can't help with Calgary but I'd be amazed if you can't get a brisket in the heart of Canadian beef country!

Last edited:
I have a local meat packer that carries only Alberta beef and sells whole packers in the 14-16 lb range I could send one back to Alberta for you. A few years ago I had a discussion with a local butcher, unfortunately since retired and closed his shop, and he told me brisket can be hard to get because so much of it goes to the making of Montreal style smoked meat. I believe the U.S. had a similar problem when the Arby's brisket sandwich became so popular, prices went up and availability went down.

Update in case anyone else is looking, The Butcher Shoppe in Airdrie, AB is a great place. First visit I was able to directly talk to the butcher, they carry all they good stuff: brisket, ribs, pork buts and turkey breast. I went with side ribs for this upcoming Canada Day and I have a good impression from the product.

Back