Cabinet or open

Warren Frank

I am more than likely going to purchase a SE-330. The only thing I am undecided with is getting it with the cabinet or go with the open bottom.
Thoughts?
Thanks Warren

If it is one of the new Genesis II's, it will likely start to rust open or closed fairly soon, but open is better. Just make sure you use a cover that has good ventilation so it doesn't trap moisture.

Or better yet don't use a cover. Bottom line it's personal preference. I love having a cabinet. YMMV. My Genesis is one of the "good" ones a 2000. No cabinet. My Wolf has a cabinet. I prefer the cabinet

I vote for the open bottom. I previously had enclosed cabinets (Charbroil IR 4 burner and Weber 2008 Genesis).
I didn't really store anything in the cabinet because it gets dirty, even under a cover - Oklahoma wind, I guess.
So for me, it was just something else to clean. I now have a Genesis II … SE335? I think? The 3 burner Special Edition.
I preferred the look of the open cart, plus it was a little cheaper. I was a bit unsure, but now I am very happy I got it.
I still clean the bottom, it's just easier to do so. :) I don't have any rust, but it is covered when not in use.

Another thing you may consider, though - do you have dogs? I didn't think about the grease pan being available to sneaky
tongues until afterwards, but it hasn't been a problem. I am always nearby when it's uncovered and mine don't
mess with the cover.

As Larry said, it comes down to personal preference.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

If it is one of the new Genesis II's, it will likely start to rust open or closed fairly soon, but open is better. Just make sure you use a cover that has good ventilation so it doesn't trap moisture.
I certainly don't want to hijack Warren's thread but this may apply to both open and closed carts on the Genesis II.

Bruce, knowing this to be a problem, just exactly where does the rust start? Back in December I bought an LX S345 and have though of spraying the corners where the shelves attach with something like Balistol (basically mineral oil) to inhibit the start of the rust. Good idea or is there something better Genesis II owners can do? Many thanks.

I don't have much first hand experience with Genesis II grills. I did pick up a physically damaged one a couple years back. It was only about two years old and there was some minor rust already starting on the slats. I have seen several pictures of them with rust in the same areas, even on open cart models. I think it was Dave in KC that had one only a couple years old that had significant rust.

But, no, other than just keeping it out of the elements with proper ventilation is the only real way to keep it from rusting prematurely...I don't think a rust inhibitor would hurt though as long as it didn't react with the paint or anything.

It's not inevitable that a genesis II cart will rust. My brother has one he's owned for several years. Open cart. He keeps it covered on an open deck year round. Zero rust on his.

Throw too many of those on the grill at one time and "Simple" can quickly become exciting when the grease fire starts. haha

I have a Genesis e-310 that I got about 8 years ago that has the cabinet with 2 doors. Leave it outside with no cover most of the year. I bring it inside for winter and I have zero rust on it.

Hi
As mentioned picked up a E-335 that had some damage so great price and Weber Customer Support. Anyway, I cleaned the cabinet very well, and put 2 coats of Hard Shell wax in the cabinet. I sprayed Fluid Film anywhere where corners meet and down the wheel tubes. Hopefully this will keep rust at bay.Also waxed the cabinet on the outside.

Back