Buyer Beware about used Smokefire's.

My understanding is that Weber collaborated with June in developing their iGrill system and their Smokefire software. To me that means the Weber software people are June employees so we continue our march to mature SmokeFire software..

Well, my decision has been made. I found a Masterbuilt MB560 through Brickseek at a nearby Walmart, for $250 . Hard to go wrong. This will be fun.
Have you used your 560 yet where you have thoughts on your experience? I bought one last May and have always enjoyed using it.

Have you used your 560 yet where you have thoughts on your experience? I bought one last May and have always enjoyed using it.

Just burning in this morning. Spent yesterday messing with the app and the wifi. Was thinking it would immediately update firmware but that never happened. Did not want to get in the middle of burn in and it shut down to update. I did see there was a firmware update released on Oct 15.

I got a lot of questions .............. lump vrs briqs , grease management, grease fires, it seems there's a cottage industry in mods that's sprung up , I'm thinkin about lining that bottom tray with foil and putting foil over the manifold just to make clean up easier. IDK what that would do to grease flow.

I smoked some yardbird this past weekend. So far, so very good. Smoke was thin and blue. I expected a lot of smoldering white smoke from the charcoal/chunk, but something happens, its just not there. Held temps like a charm. I was very impressed.

My true love is my stick burner, It produces the barbecue flavor I enjoy, but reality is , I can't use it as often as I'd like.

That said, I've wanted a " set and forget " cooker. I'm still skeptical of pellets producing smoke flavor. Its just way too common a theme from pellet owners. I thought about an ATC on a WSM and have been experimenting with premium lump charcoal, trying to get a cleaner smoke.

And then this MB 560 comes along. Its early on, but this exactly what I'm looking for, " set and forget " along with producing a good smoke flavor from wood. Will see how this goes and how many problems pop up over the long haul, but I could not be happier , right now. Its totally changed my view of gravity feed smokers.

And then this MB 560 comes along. Its early on, but this exactly what I'm looking for, " set and forget " along with producing a good smoke flavor from wood. Will see how this goes and how many problems pop up over the long haul, but I could not be happier , right now. Its totally changed my view of gravity feed smokers.
I agree; my 560 is easy to use and performs very well. Yours is even better because of the small price you paid ;)

I agree; my 560 is easy to use and performs very well. Yours is even better because of the small price you paid ;)

The WalMart where I bought mine for $250, had marked them down to $150 Saturday.

There's a trend developing among WalMart's here in OKC. One store will have a drastic mark down while others are at $360. Then when that store sells out, another store will mark there's down to $250 and keep marking down till they sell out.

Right now, a store in Norman has them at $250 and Brickseek says they have " + 6 " units.

Does Weber typically, or ever replace missing parts from floor models bought at a discount?
In my first post of this thread I mention a discussion with the Weber rep and it sounds like no they won't not sure about a discount. Someone had bought a bunch of these cheap then expected Weber to replace missing parts which they would let you register the grill then buy what you were missing but no the parts aren't free.

I am sure if you bought the grill from Weber that would not be an issue if something was missing.

I would love to have a charcoal MB560 but then again it would be a winter only grill so why bother. Yesterday it rained a measurable amount, first time in over a year and it doesn't look like this draught is going to go away anytime soon. So it's the pellet pooper and gas.

My memory must be failing me; does Weber require a sales receipt in order to register a unit or to file a warranty claim?

My memory must be failing me; does Weber require a sales receipt in order to register a unit or to file a warranty claim?
You need a sales receipt to file a claim however they will register a unit for you so you can buy parts for it. Having had a 1000, 1100 and a Silver C all used as well as a performer all of those grills are registered with Weber. None I had a receipt for and all are used and rebuilt.

Usually you need the serial number to register to identify the model for the correct parts but I am doing a 2007 Performer for a friend of mine and I need some parts I spoke to them as I knew its a gen 2 and the serial number was on a sticker long gone from the grill. Maybe its because I have 4 grills registered with them and I knew the model number on the performer they will sell me the parts getting ready to put an order in this week.

Edit: They also knew its a 2007 as on Kettles there is a model number or code stamped on the top damper which I gave them obviously it does not identify it as a performer but it does identify the year.

Last edited:
I registered 2 of mine and cked a year or so ago and no records found, First was the performer in 11 and the gasser in about 15 ymmv

Back