Buyer Beware about used Smokefire's.

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
So I just got off the phone with Weber really good rep just passing this on. In Atl there is one for sale in an outlet place for $400 EX4 it looks used hard to say but another listing new for $500 EX4 and from the picture I can tell they bought it from Lowes so no idea what they paid but I am going down to my local Lowes tomorrow or the next day to see if they still have the floor model there I suspect the person who listed it for $500 paid less or otherwise why buy it. Got to make something. Although my dream is a Weber Summit the old model might be intrigued if I can get an EX4 from Lowes for $400 if parts are missing just bring it back but I would have a receipt if the parts are all there I would be able to get the upgrades.

We discussed the fact that these were most likely first generation the rep knew about the note to dealers to return unused stock. I asked him about floor stock since my Lowes as stated by other members gen1 were still on the floor and he really did not know if those could have been returned but he did state if parts were missing that was not up to Weber to replace those parts and they would not so obviously you take the risk of buying a floor model and if its missing parts bring it back to Lowes or whoever.

Really interesting to me was he told me a story about someone who called bought a bunch of these guessing floor models for cheap missing some parts thinking Weber would replace those parts the answer was no. And no unless you register the grill and have a receipt they will not provide you with the upgrades they will allow you to register the grill and buy those upgrades which pretty much negates what you saved for the used grill. I think I said well I guess the welded chute would be at least 50 bucks he said more.

Good info, I’ve recommended not purchasing a used one if you can’t get the warranty, just too many moving parts.

All along the lure of a kettle back in the day was that almost all parts are easily available and reasonably priced. That isn’t going to be the same with the Smokefires!

I posted awhile back that our Lowes had a few SmokeFires out on the floor and I asked if these were gen 2 models and he told me they had been in the back room for a long time and they decided to assemble them and see if the could move them out before Christmas. Maybe they didn't get the message to send them back to Weber. They were $150 below retail, not enough of a discount for me to go through the hassles of upgrading everything as much as I would like to have one, my camp chef does what I need it to do.

Same thing at the Lowe's down here Rich-and the smaller Ace and TV still have them for $999! They're still a year out I think-my 575 arrives today Rich-I think it will work just as good as your CC without going to a SF.

I went into my local Lowes today two EX4's and 1 EX6 on the floor regular price $999 and $1199 they clearly were the ones on the floor from last year. Chutes on both still had that caulk on the inside.

I definitely agree that this is one grill you would be much better off buying new with all the updates rather than playing around with a used one that you may or may not be able to register - let alone get all the updated parts. I would only buy a used SmokeFire if it were REALLY cheap to make all that risk worthwhile. I would have loved to have taken advantage of Weber's Christmas pricing to buy an EX-4, but too many irons already in the fire. Also, Recteq's stainless kettle is an interesting and less expensive alternative that can also sear or do low and slow. Plus, you can use 22" kettle grates and GBS attachments on it.

I definitely agree that this is one grill you would be much better off buying new with all the updates rather than playing around with a used one that you may or may not be able to register - let alone get all the updated parts. I would only buy a used SmokeFire if it were REALLY cheap to make all that risk worthwhile. I would have loved to have taken advantage of Weber's Christmas pricing to buy an EX-4, but too many irons already in the fire. Also, Recteq's stainless kettle is an interesting and less expensive alternative that can also sear or do low and slow. Plus, you can use 22" kettle grates and GBS attachments on it.
Wow, just wow!!
This looks like a total game changer.
C57931F3-6588-40A1-B5EE-0429C6A3D3C4.png

I was an Assistant Manager with Lowe’s for a few years. I was even over the Lawn & Garden departments where the grills were sold for a year. Some stores received multiple Smokefires and some stores didn’t get any. It depended on sales volume and demographics. The guy Rich spoke to was honest. I would often assemble things to push out to the floor to take advantage of a sale or a season, like Christmas. Also, we did it to fill holes, as grills stop being sent in after Labor Day, but you have to have something displayed until the new arrivals come. Sending them back requires a lot of coordination with freight companies. A lazy or overburdened Receiving Clerk or Department Supervisor could cause things to slip through the cracks. I’ve scheduled things to be picked up before that sat in the back room near the docks so long that we said screw it, take the markdown, and call a “junk man” and give him a deal just to be rid of the darned things, which is likely what happened in the OP. The new arrivals should be coming soon as they gear up for spring, which is Lowe’s and HD’s busy season, and the old displays should start to move out. Of course, I’m speaking from a Southeastern perspective. Stores are run differently in other parts of our country.

I want to thank all of you who have educated me on pellet grills really does not matter what brand you got although the RecTec not this model seem to have less problems but Rich's Camp Chef seems to be working fine a used Smokefire is now out of the question due to warranty problems I thought these things were supposed to plug it in and of course which works for me set it at 275 and be done or whatever temp you set it in fine. That does not seem to to be the case and obviously in ATL with afternoon thundershowers raining down on them and no problem for me its under a covered area so no problem but it could be a big problem if its under an exposed deck since you plugged it in up there.

I have read a ton of threads and I believe the average consumer thinks the way I used to think the pellet grill is bulletproof and that was the main reason to buy one that appears to not be the case. There is a place for a gasser which will never go away, nor will a WSM or a UDS which is my guess different tools for different cooks.

I keep going thru these threads it appears on a pellet grill unless you are able to go low the smoke factor is not that that great seems the Smokefire might do it better but why should I have to worry about that its supposed to be a pellet smoker.

Brian,
I think you are right that many people are thinking that a pellet grill means minimal effort and endlessly easy BBQ. It is electronic and does have moving parts. That changes the game from a kettle, WSM or even a gas grill. You need to have your eyes open and be aware of issue regarding an electric appliance and sensitive electronics.

As far as results, I think people are arriving at different conclusions. Many here are reporting that their pellet grills perform as well - and some even say better - than their kettles, kamados and other smokers. Certainly, we have seen right here some awesome looking brisket and other BBQ turned out by the SmokeFire - at least when it is being cooperative. I think the SmokeFire 2nd generation is worth a serious look now that the early adopters have helped Weber rescue it from its early teething pains.

I watched the guy above's review of the Recteq Bullseye. I think he got a lemon, but even with that he admitted getting really great steaks and other food. His new one seemed to make very fine ribs, too. If I could afford a second pellet grill, I would want a smaller one and would be torn between a SmokeFire EX-4 and this Bullseye. I would mostly want it to do "weekday" hot grilling, but a second low and slow machine for big BBQ days would also be important. I think either one of these can do that. The EX-4 looks bigger, but don't underestimate what you can do on a round 22 inch grill. It may actually have MORE grilling space. I also like that I can swap in my Weber kettle grates, including my thick stainless ones from Killa Grilla and also my Weber GBS insert grate with some attachments. For $399 it still looks like a great deal to me. If I got a lemon, too, I am confident that Recteq would make it right.

I've been interested in a " set and forget " smoker for some time now. And when I look at pellet smokers, I keep going back to the same model Rich has , this Camp Chef

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R62LF7N/?tag=tvwb-20

The only thing separating this $600 smoker and the $1200 version, is its not stainless steel and doesn't have wifi. Which both of those , I don't need. I don't live in a climate where rust is a problem and I have no use for an app on my phone.

The Camp Chef has every feature I think I might like, and doesn't have those I really don't need.

But for me, when it comes to " set and forget " its about adding an ATC to my 18 WSM vrs a pellet smoker. And I'm having a real hard time justifying the diff in cost of a Smoke Signal with Bellows, and a pellet grill.

Its charcoal/chunk flavor vrs pellet flavor.

Thats a great price on one of those, Tom Horseman would be proud. I trying to figure if I can use the Weber poultry roaster right on the rack of my pellet smoker. Seems like that roaster can be used most anywhere!

In most cases my feelings on things are less is best. Some would probably argue that when I had ten Weber's.
Like I've said my Camp Chef is a pretty basic model and all I was looking for was something that would work well with the mountain environment we live in with winds almost all the time. I loved my WSM but hated the constant adjustments I had to make to get a decent cook and with the charcoal restrictions I can't use it in the summer anymore. But the CC is allowed.
Almost anything that has electronics and fire are going to be possibly unreliable. Yes I would love to have an EX4 but I can't justify it with it's cost and all the bells and whistles I would never use.
I will say my two gassers and performer will never go away they have there place in my tool bag.

Agree with Rich on the price factor, and keeping my gasser and Performer . My wife working at Ace allowed us an almost 50% discount which is why we got a Traeger 575.

Very interesting and helpful info about Weber and buying second hand Smokefires.

I posted in a new thread, but Weber just bought a started company called June and they make digital ovens. Should help improve their future gen pellet grills.

Back