Butts - Fat Cap Up or Down

Brian_B

I personally smoke Butts with the fat cap down on the grate, but have seen in some other posts that some cook with it up. What do you do?

I go cap up, and usually trim part of it off prior to rubbing though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
FC down, zero trim.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep

I'm like Brad,no trimming,fat cap up. But whatever works for you brother. There are a million different opinions and procedures for PP and ribs and brisket,etc. If what you are doing works for you,keep up the good work.

Complete newbie question....

If you don't trim the butt, doesn't that decrease the amount of eatable bark there'll be?

I love the idea of not spending 30-40 minutes trimming, but I love that crust the outside gets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
I'm like Brad,no trimming,fat cap up. But whatever works for you brother. There are a million different opinions and procedures for PP and ribs and brisket,etc. If what you are doing works for you,keep up the good work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like seeing that opinion expressed, thats how I feel. whatever works for you.

I typically do fat side up, but this batch of 17#'s I am doing tonight will be fat side down to see how I like it.

The fat cap "down" works as a heat diffuser against the direction of heat flow, especially if smoking butts on the bottom rack due to the outer "hot" zones. I'll admit though, it won't make a big difference on the top rack.

A secondary reason is that, although I rarely go to the trouble anymore, mopping does add additional flavors to the butt, but not much if the fat cap is up. The mop simply won't stay in contact with the bark as much with the top being mainly fat.

i'm now headed towards trimming. the skin and thick layer of fat are normally thrown away anyhow. with it trimmed off you get the rub and smoke into/on the meat itself. if you really want the skin then cook it by itself at a high heat to crisp it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by b mauro:
Complete newbie question....

If you don't trim the butt, doesn't that decrease the amount of eatable bark there'll be?

I love the idea of not spending 30-40 minutes trimming, but I love that crust the outside gets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a great thread on that right here.
But I agree with Phil. Do whatever works!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I get my butts from a variety of sources, so I have to do a variety of preparations. Lately, I've been getting whole shoulders from a local meat mart. I trim the skin and will usually get some of the extraneous fat off with that too. I like to leave a little fat cap. I'll cook cap side up.

I dont mop or spray the meat on the cooker and cook with the fat cap up... my thougts are that as the fat cap renders, it will drip down the meat and baste it. Not sure if there is any science to that, but makes sense in my mind.

Some people like the fat chopped in their bbq, so leaving it on adds flavor (fat) to the final product. Another added bonus, the fat cap wont stick to your grate.

Last time was trimmed and fat cap up.

I have two butts on tonight. After reading this thread, I went with no trim and fat down. Plan to spritz with apple juice and that's it.

Brian, Really doesn't matter. They will all render the same whether up,down,sideways,whatever.Just put a good rub on sit back and enjoy. Keep your temps stabilized and be prepared for BBQ Nirvana. Good luck with your cook. Butts are VERY forgiving. Good piece of meat to start off with to learn how to use the WSM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Brian, Really doesn't matter. They will all render the same whether up,down,sideways,whatever.Just put a good rub on sit back and enjoy. Keep your temps stabilized and be prepared for BBQ Nirvana. Good luck with your cook. Butts are VERY forgiving. Good piece of meat to start off with to learn how to use the WSM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO.

The couple of times I've smoked pork shoulders, I've gotten them from the local butcher, so they're pretty well trimmed, but still have a fat side. I've started out the cooks with fat side down and then flip them after 4 hours. It works for me.

Peter

Back