Butts at Costco - What else should I get?

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I just got my Costco Membership. I will be going there this week for a couple butts for the Memorial Day weekend. For those of you who use Costco, a couple questions:

Is there really an difference in a boneless butt? Should I wrap it with twine or just throw it on the WSM. I have only smoked the bone-in butts from Sam's. Any other need to know's?

Also, is there anything else at Costco that I should take a look at. I'm asking mostly about meat and cooking supplies (like spices), but anything that is special at Costco that I should look at would be good to know.

Thanks.

tri tip, new york steaks, chuck roasts, black olives..... I picked up a couple tubs of spinich for ~$3.99 that makes good salad.. I also get lighthouse bleu cheese there,, coffee beans, avocado / olive oil, sweet baby ray's, dog food, black peppercorns..... 9VDC batteries. Aluminum foil! 2 sizes... zip lock bags, bic pens, S&W beans, Alcohol! Honey, peanut butter, dog beds. Don't forget to get your brisket sandwich on your way out!

Last edited:
Jerry, I tie the boneless butts just enough to keep them together. That usually amounts to two or three ties across and one (maybe two if it's a large butt) lengthwise down the butt. The flank steak is expensive but excellent, as are their boneless country style pork ribs. However, the CSPRs are a dollar more than the butts, so I carve one butt into strips and smoke the other one whole - kinda gets me the same results with less cash. We also buy the 10# bag of pinto beans (at select Costcos) because my wife makes refried beans from them, as well as chili and some side dishes. As far as spices go, you really need to see their selection...they have some great stuff to choose from! And if you are into cheese, they have Tillamook Medium Cheddar in a 2.5# loaf that we don't EVER run out of! Happy hunting! :D

A whole pork loin, If you can use a knife you'll save a lot of money rather than buying chops or a roast. Aluminum pans are super cheap, check out the seasoning isle, big cans of beans, and tomatoes are extremely cheap. A cooked rotisserie chicken will be cheaper than you can cook one yourself.

A cooked rotisserie chicken will be cheaper than you can cook one yourself.
This is very true. My wife repeatedly reminds me of this everytime I want to cook Chicken on a Throne.

I love Costco's assortments of snacks & appetizers.....the artichoke/jalapeno dip, dry cured salamis, smoked salmon, 7-layer bean dip, hummus.....the list goes on & on. Get a few bags of the baked pita chips and GORGE.

Prime sirloin is excellent, the skirt steak is expensive(for skirt) but delicious, Tuna steaks are good to; 10lb. bags of chicken wings are great for parties.

I am a Costco member and FAN! You don't want to miss their St. Louis Cut Ribs, either. I second their rotisserie chicken - it is absolutely EXCELLENT! My wife loves it, too. On Fridays, in season, you'll see some of the greatest seafood on the planet. Their Wild Alaskan Salmon and Steelhead cannot be beat! I am allergic to shell fish but their lobster, scallops, and shrimp are as good lookin' as I have seen.

They have many, many specialty foods that are seldom found, elsewhere. We buy our Pure Virgin Olive oil there, too. They carry the best Olive oil you can find (theirs is lab certified).

Just keep your eyes open as there is LOTS to see and buy.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

One thing I will say, they do change out what they stock so don't depend on them having some things all the time. I use to get olives there in a 2 jar pack then all of a sudden no more same with onion powder. We also buy the Kirklands Columbian coffee which in my opinion is better than most, even picked up a burr coffee grinder there for like $29.00 which usually goes for a lot more other places not to mention my wife wanted a Traeger Texas for $800.00which I'm trying to talk her into getting rid of.

oooooh I forgot cheese, the smoked gouda is really cheap and very good, books and batteries, you really do just have to walk around the place, we get most of our paper goods like plates and bowls and towels there, the big box of heavy duty 18" foil is cheaper than the restaurant supply store by me I even picked up a case of green beans there once, just as good as the name brands and for less.

the frozen corn is great, when fresh is not available.
on occasions, I've found Prime whole brisket packers for the price of Choice. (all their meat is excellent)
Kirkland's K-cup coffee is tasty, and about 38 cents per cup.
when they have them, the garlic/jalapeno stuffed olives are great.
when pooch was a pup I researched and found that Kirkland's dog food was high on the list for quality, so that's what she has eaten for almost 5 years.

keep your receipts, their return policy for everything is second to none.

my only complaint with Costco is when you get hooked on an item, and they stop carrying it.
case in point, Party-Tizer dippin' chips are Outstanding, but couldn't find them there the other day :(

One thing I will say, they do change out what they stock so don't depend on them having some things all the time.

Yes they Do!!! If you see something you are interested in that is in the middle of the store (the seasonal stuff), think long and hard if you want really want it before you leave. The next time you go to Costco it probably isn't going to be there and be replaced with something totally different.

I just got my Costco Membership.

Also, is there anything else at Costco that I should take a look at. I'm asking mostly about meat and cooking supplies (like spices), but anything that is special at Costco that I should look at would be good to know.

Thanks.

Hey Jerry - Congratulations!

Costco has a Foodsaver (4800 I think) that goes on sale twice a year and is a great addition to the kitchen - Usually sells for $150 and look for it at $120.

All their beef is very good. The whole tenderloins (choice cut) are excellent and if you can peel them yourself you'll save some $$ doing so. I also like buying whole loins - ribeye and sirloin and cutting my own steaks. For specialty stuff I still use my butcher though - he'll cut me a 4" thick Porterhouse which I can't get anywhere else except SF or NY.

I also buy the Coleman chickens - organic and they come in a twin pack. Great quality chicken - much more meat and less fat than FF.

1. Boneless Rib Steaks
2. Country style ribs
3. Double-pack of Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce
4. Institutional size shakers of paprika, granulated garlic and onion powder
5. 10 lb bags of kosher salt
6. Kingsford Competition double-pack
7. Large bottle of Raspberry Chipotle dressing (great grilling marinade and dipping sauce!)
8. Of course, no trip is complete without a Costco case of Guinness

Thanks for all the great responses. I will be going there on Friday to pick up meat for the long weekend. I'll plan a little extra time to shop (can't believe I said that - I usually go buying, not shopping).

Had a membership for years. I agree with Don. If it's there buy it. If you think you will come back later it won't be there LOL I lost my Sardines for months. I currently have about 16 tins on my basement shelf now lol.........I've never had any bad meat from Costco. Took me a long time before I'd buy a 3 pack of wrapped ribs not being able to see anything other than the top slab. Every time I'd see someone buying them I'd ask "have they ever hidden a bad slab in there"? Answer was always no. Never got a bad slab loaded with fat, never had a slab hidden with shiners etc.

Back