Butt Problems...

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone

Had little issues with a pork butt I was cooking this weekend. First, most of my injection was in the pan from the previous day. I’ll take responsibility for this as I didn’t take enough care like I usually do.… OK fine, no big deal….

Secondly, I experienced a significant stall (45+mins) after wrapped in foil, which was a bit surprising. Removed from wsm at 162-163*, wrapped in double layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, and back on the smoker (internals were 160* at this point). Stalled for 45mins but then hit the mark in about a 1 or maybe 1.5-2hours. I have not noticed it taking this long before with other butts, anyone else? Maybe I have and didn’t notice? Did it just take so long due to the thick foil I was using?

I was in a hurry as people were getting set to come over so perhaps multiplied the time felt I was waiting? Then again, this was the first time I’ve wrapped with straight foil vs pan and foil (for butts).

Lastly, and probably my most concerning issues was the fact that when I probed for tenderness at 193*, it was like butter, seriously like going through air. However, while I was waiting for the temp to come down to 170*, I noticed the butt starting to tighten up and up and up when re probing… It wasn’t tough by any means, but it also wasn’t like going through butter either. By the time the butt got down to a slicing temp, it had significant change in tenderness – why? I did open the foil but I did allow it to sit in the hot juices; didn't notice temps going up though.

Did I just get a butt from hell or what?

Not sure why, but from the get go I felt this butt would be a problem…

Please share your thoughts

Johnny

Well, I've never felt the need to inject or foil a butt, so of course that's what I am go to blame (kidding).

Secondly, I experienced a significant stall (45+mins) after wrapped in foil
The stall is the meat sweating, and if you wrap it in foil, the meat can't sweat like it would if unwrapped. You basically created a braise situation (which is not a bad method) but like you said, it toughened up during your rest. You're almost obligated to keep it in the foil during the rest if you cook it in foil. You just stab the probe through the foil to get the temp / tenderness check

Well, I've never felt the need to inject or foil a butt, so of course that's what I am go to blame (kidding).

Just going with the way I was taught, for now. lol. :wsm:

The stall is the meat sweating, and if you wrap it in foil, the meat can't sweat like it would if unwrapped. You basically created a braise situation (which is not a bad method) but like you said, it toughened up during your rest. You're almost obligated to keep it in the foil during the rest if you cook it in foil. You just stab the probe through the foil to get the temp / tenderness check

I think this is the one part I changed this cook from my previous... Interesting.

And just to clarify, that is how I ended up the last 3 hours of my cook time (wrapped in foil and probed it); started off un-foiled.

I agree with Chuck. Most likely when you unwrapped it from the foil to rest the meat cooled down quickly and tightened up a bit.

This happens all the time for various reasons though. It's hard to say exactly why it happened.

I always rest my butts/briskets still wrapped in the foil. I want to have a gradual cool down. Not a fast one.

Some advice for future cooks with people coming over, plan to have your bigger meats done 1-2 hours ahead of time and put them in a cooler wrapped in foil and blankets. This will give you some flex time if the meat doesn't get done in time. Plus it's impressive to your guests that you aren't running around like a maniac when they get to your house. You look calm cool and collected :cool:

I usually vent after the cook if I foil to arrest the cooking process. It's far more important to do with a brisket. Maybe not necessary with pork. They will tighten up some with unwrapping but I see this as a good thing. They can be pretty mushy when foiled. I don't usually foil them but I did inject last time. It helped a ton with the flavor. Commodity pork can be pretty bland.

I try not to cook butts when I am up against the clock. I like to get up plenty early or get them on the night before. The added stress of a looming deadline (company) doesn't help my cooking experience. The last couple of butts I've cooked, I skipped foiling. The only time I foil is when I'm in a hurry and I do it mainly to break the stall. When done, I'll let them rest, in the foil, for about 30 minutes. BTW, a 45 - 60 minute stall for a butt is not bad. It can be a whole lot worse. Hang in there.

I agree with Chuck. Most likely when you unwrapped it from the foil to rest the meat cooled down quickly and tightened up a bit.

This happens all the time for various reasons though. It's hard to say exactly why it happened.

I always rest my butts/briskets still wrapped in the foil. I want to have a gradual cool down. Not a fast one.

Some advice for future cooks with people coming over, plan to have your bigger meats done 1-2 hours ahead of time and put them in a cooler wrapped in foil and blankets. This will give you some flex time if the meat doesn't get done in time. Plus it's impressive to your guests that you aren't running around like a maniac when they get to your house. You look calm cool and collected :cool:

Wouldn't keep them in foil continue the cooking process?

Yeah, I planned it out well in my head but the night before I got a little crazy with some IPA's and it made waking up on time impossible..LOL :(

I usually vent after the cook if I foil to arrest the cooking process. It's far more important to do with a brisket. Maybe not necessary with pork. They will tighten up some with unwrapping but I see this as a good thing. They can be pretty mushy when foiled. I don't usually foil them but I did inject last time. It helped a ton with the flavor. Commodity pork can be pretty bland.

The flavors that come out of my pb are outstanding! I don't ever see myself not injecting the night before, I mean, why not?

I try not to cook butts when I am up against the clock. I like to get up plenty early or get them on the night before. The added stress of a looming deadline (company) doesn't help my cooking experience. The last couple of butts I've cooked, I skipped foiling. The only time I foil is when I'm in a hurry and I do it mainly to break the stall. When done, I'll let them rest, in the foil, for about 30 minutes. BTW, a 45 - 60 minute stall for a butt is not bad. It can be a whole lot worse. Hang in there.

Yes, I learned this the hard way... No more IPA's the night before a cook, at least when people are coming over..:eek:

I guess I never noticed the stall time before prior to this cook, than again I was never pressed for time like this either...

If like you and pressed for time i'll leave them on the counter unwrapped and pull them in a half hour or so. Perfect world, leave them wrapped and in an insulated vessel for a few hours to let the meat absorb some of the juices back.
Try injecting thru the cryo packing next time, that should contain any leakage.

Tim

If like you and pressed for time i'll leave them on the counter unwrapped and pull them in a half hour or so. Perfect world, leave them wrapped and in an insulated vessel for a few hours to let the meat absorb some of the juices back.
Try injecting thru the cryo packing next time, that should contain any leakage.

Tim

I'm a bit confused on this aspect of the cook. Wouldn't leaving it wrapped allow it to continue to cook? I thought you remove, unwrap to get down to 170*, and re-wrap with blankets and such to insulated cooler...???

I haven't thought of injecting through the cryo pack but this wouldn't allow me to put my rub on overnight.

Depends on your target temp. High heat you would want to vent to avoid overcooking, but normal low and slow, the rest is quite beneficial and no need to let it cool off.
I always rub when the charcoal is getting ready.:)

Tim

I'm a bit confused on this aspect of the cook. Wouldn't leaving it wrapped allow it to continue to cook? I thought you remove, unwrap to get down to 170*, and re-wrap with blankets and such to insulated cooler...???

I haven't thought of injecting through the cryo pack but this wouldn't allow me to put my rub on overnight.

Everyone does it differently. I wrap around 170-175 and put my thermometer through the foil. When I hit my magic number, I pull them and go directly to a cooler with towels. I try to always let my pork rest for an hour. Have never had anything but great results as far as tender, moist bbq so I don't feel your question of the meat continuing to cook to be reason for concern. 1 point to remember, though, is be careful if you're pulling the meat with your fingers. That internal temp is still going to be quite warm if you come straight from the cooler and start digging in.

Back