Burnt Ends and Sausage

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I cooked some burnt ends for the first time for Easter.

full

I started with a point I picked up at the butcher. It's rare to find a point. If I get a full packer I prefer to cook it and serve Texas style with the point and flat together.

full

I seasoned with kosher salt and Kosmos Q Dirty Bird.

full

I cooked the point on the WSM at 250. I wrapped when the bark set and then took it off when it was tender. I wrapped very tightly and while the bark softened in the wrap it came right back when I put the burnt ends back on the smoker.

full

I used some Stubbs Dr. Pepper sauce. I find this a bit too sweet for normal use, but it worked perfectly carmelized on these burnt ends.

full

Sauce up and ready to go back on the smoker for another hour.

full

I also cooked up some of my homemade sausage.

full

On the cutting board after the cook.

full

Served up with mac and cheese.

I don't normally make burnt ends other than the old school naturally occuring type you get on a brisket. This was delicious and I'm going to do it again if I come across another point. The only thing I might change is maybe butterflying the thick end to get a more even cook with even more crust.

Looks really good, Dustin! It would have been hard for me to decide if I wanted to do burnt ends or pastrami if I found that point! Great looking sausage, too. Are those your texas-style hot guts? I've got that recipe queued up so I can keep my new grinder busy. Thanks for sharing!

R

Freakin A that played pic makes me hungry!!! Dustin, it’s not the true brisket burnt ends, but at our house, we’ve fallen in love with “faux burnt ends” made with chuck roast. Relatively cheap, and readily available. your burnt ends look great, but I have to say, the sausage real Got my attention. I have wanted to smoke sausage for soooo long, but just never have. That plated pic really has me thinking about trying some this weekend...
thanks for sharing,
Tim

Back