Burger Internal Temp Guide

I just bought 10 lbs of ground beef this morning. I'll use this chart to make some better burgers hopefully soon. Thank you, Chris.

Thanks Chris. Been doing burgers lately on the Genesis and have been doing 135. Good to know I was on the mark.

When I grill burgers that I grind myself, I cook them on the rare side. They are juicier and they taste better. I grind almost frozen Chuck steak and brisket in a frozen grinder, keep everything on ice and think that I'm being careful about contaminants. Am I just kidding myself that my ground beef is safer than store bought?

Jeff

When I grill burgers that I grind myself, I cook them on the rare side. They are juicier and they taste better. I grind almost frozen Chuck steak and brisket in a frozen grinder, keep everything on ice and think that I'm being careful about contaminants. Am I just kidding myself that my ground beef is safer than store bought?

Jeff

Depends.

It probably is safer since your ground beef only comes from 1-2 cows vs. a thousand or more if you buy ground beef in the supermarket.

That said, whole pieces of beef can get contaminated rather easily during the butchering process. All it takes is a mistake of the knife (slicing an intestine, etc.), someone getting careless, etc. We grind our own meat too and still cook it to 160F. No point in taking unnecessary risks especially since my wife and I two boys ages 7 1/2 and 5. Better to be safe than sorry and have someone get a tummy ache or worse.

Back