Buns and Smash Burgers

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Had fun yesterday making hamburger buns midday and one of our favorites, smash burgers and fries for dinner. Here's a few pictures.

The buns proofing.

DSC_3788 (Large).JPG

Out of the oven and then onto cooling racks.

DSC_3794 (Large).JPG

Fries on.

DSC_3797 (Large).JPG

4 oz. balls of 80/20, loosely Next time I'll make mine a little bigger.

DSC_3800 (Large).JPG

Used my heavy duty spatula to do the smash.

DSC_3804 (Large).JPG

I screwed up and seasoned the meat before I snapped the picture. The crust under the seasoning was perfect.

DSC_3807 (Large).JPG

American cheese and a bun toast.

DSC_3809 (Large).JPG

DSC_3813 (Large).JPG

Plated it up.

DSC_3816 (Large).JPG

DSC_3819 (Large).JPG

From the buns to the burgers, this was a fun cook. The baking steel makes for a great griddle. Hope you all are having a good weekend. Thank you for looking.

Those look great, what is the griddle you have. I am looking at getting a Hunsaker, but with that one you need to take the grate out.

Thanks guys!! I'm up against the clock tonight. Real quick.

Preston.... This recipe is very similar to the one (YouTube Vid) posted by TCampbell. It's in Case's post Beautiful Burger Buns down among the comments. It's not the King Arthur video also posted on Case's thread. The recipe I used is a paper copy I printed off a few weeks back. I thought I bookmarked the link but I don't see it. I'l dig up the link tomorrow and get it posted.

Michael and Jim.... That's my baking steel for my KettlePizza. It's an accessory that I purchased after I got my KP. It's sturdy enough and can sit on top of the grate, giving added support for "Smashing".

https://www.kettlepizza.com/product/22-5-baking-steel-ss/

I wondered if that was the baking steel from your KP.....nice multi tasking (now I have to knock the rust off mine!) ;) Love the look of those buns, Cliff, and have been jonesing to make some since CLasko posted up a video of some brioche buns. I'll get around to it, I'm sure.......I've been busy this weekend breaking in the new dehydrator (oranges, tomatoes and peppers.) :)

Great looking smash burgers!!!

R

Wow! Talk about bun perfect! What a nice job.
We try to do buns all the time but they never come out very well. I think its a elevation thing for us. Most recipes are for sea level applications and don't seem too carry over to higher elevations very well. Burgers look guud!
would like to give your recipe a try.

Themes some tasty looking burgers! I see you took more care than I did in shaping your buns. They look perfect and not rustic like mine🤣

Back