Building a Glen Blue Smoker

WaltS

Last year, my local grill store got in a Weber Summit Charcoal and I looked it over as possibly being my barbecue machine. However, it was $1500 and I just didn’t think that I could justify that kind of expense for something that I would use two or three times a month. I have a Performer that I absolutely love, and Weber says the WSC could replace my Performer, which would have made such a large expense easier to justify, but I just couldn’t see spending the money to find out. My cheapness won out, I guess.

So, I began to read through the forums on here and I saw a lot of posts that talked about ways to make a 26 inch kettle into a cheaper Summit Charcoal. When Weber came out with the Glen Blue 26 inch kettle, I ordered one and began to implement some of the ideas I had gleaned from this forum.

One of the disadvantages of the 22’ kettle is how close the charcoal grate is to the cooking grate. The WSC solved this by putting more distance between the two grates. Someone on here had used a charcoal grate from a WSM to gain some distance on the 26 inch. So, I got a charcoal grate from a WSM to use in the Glen Blue and that grate drops the charcoal about 2 and a half inches below the normal 26 inch charcoal grate. So, distance gained between fire and cooking grate.

IMG_2226.jpg

Another feature of the WSC is that it has a heat diffuser located about half way between the charcoal and the cooking grate to prevent the infrared of the lit charcoal from causing hot spots in the meat being cooked. Several people on here had made diffusers out of pizza pans. I decided to try a different approach. I bought a thin sheet of metal to use as a heat diffuser but it needed a base to support it. So, I took an old cooking grate I had from my Performer, flipped it upside down, and placed the handles of the grate on the pegs on the side of the kettle that normally hold the cooking grate. I added a couple of “L” shaped brackets on two sides so they would rest on the other two metal grate straps. This would let the old cooking grate be stable and not tip.

IMG_2232 2.jpg

Then I cut the metal sheet in a circle of 23” diameter and laid it on top of the upside down cooking grate. Now my diffuser was about 4 inches above the WSM charcoal grate which is closer to half way between the coals and the cooking grate. IMG_2238.jpg

I can then put my drip pan and water pan on top of the diffuser plate. This diffuser set up will also allow me to use the standard Weber charcoal baskets if I wish.

IMG_2240.jpg

The one defect in my Glen Blue was the top damper. When it came, the top half of the top damper didn’t follow the curve of the top so it stuck up about 1/8th of an inch from the top. It was enough that the top two vent holes could not be closed. So, I employed another idea I had learned here. I cut a dowel into 4 pieces and I use them to plug the holes on the top vent. Not only does it solve the problem with the defective damper, but it is a much more precise way to determine how much of the top vent is open. When I put in 3 plugs, it is 1/4 open and I don’t have to guess. I also put marks for 1/4, 1/2, etc. on the bottom damper.

IMG_2246.jpg

Controlling temperature on the Glen Blue is not a problem. I can pretty much set it and forget it. Saturday I set up the Glen Blue to barbecue some ribs. I put in my coals and opened the top and bottom vents to get the cook going. I got distracted and it was 30 minutes before I got back to the grill. The cooking grate temperature was 260 degrees with both vents open so I closed the bottom vent to 1/4 and put three pegs in the top vent. In about 15 minutes the temperature was down to 227 degrees and it stayed around 230 degrees for the next 2 hours and 15 minutes without me having to touch the kettle. Then I opened the bottom to 1/2 and took out one peg to open the top to 1/2. The kettle stayed close to 250 degrees for the remaining two hours of the cook.

Probably the most surprising smoke to me was a couple of prime strip steaks I did a couple of weeks ago. I smoked the two strip steaks for about an hour and 15 minutes at around 225 degrees. The Glen Blue had no trouble holding a consistent temperature around that mark. After smoking, I took the two steaks and used my Performer to sear them for about a minute on each side. For years, I have grilled steaks on my Performer and they were delicious, but my wife and I both agreed that the two strips smoked on the Glen Blue were the most tender and most flavorful steaks we have ever had. I can’t wait to try that again.

The Glen Blue has succeeded as a smoking machine beyond my wildest expectations. The pegs in the top vent and the markings of the bottom vent let me be fairly precise in setting up the grill for smoking. The ideas I have gotten from this forum have helped have many very successful smokes of Boston Butts and ribs on the Glen Blue.

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 20
Well, dang, Walt, that's a great first post!!! Nice DIY job with your GBSM 26"!! :)

Welcome, and hope to have you around to share some more goodies out of your new rig!

Rich

Great job ! I've thought about doing this, but that's as far as I got. I wish Weber would sell a diffuser and charcoal ring as an accessory. The 26 would make a good smoker.

If you don't want to make something like Walt did, the big Slow n Sear (while expensive) is a good tool for making a 26 a smoker. So is an upside down Vortex (with the coals snaked around the outside of the Vortex).

I wish Weber would sell a diffuser and charcoal ring as an accessory.

Well Walt says he is using a charcoal grate from a WSM in his Glen Blue 26. So presumably you could use a WSM charcoal chamber/ring on that charcoal grate? And there'd be several ways to rig a diffuser.

For example, you could put a FireDial right on top of the ring? Or a perforated pizza pan?

Weber is selling a MT 22 in the USA now, that has a diffuser and charcoal ring, but they can't be purchased separately.

Tom Horsman has made a diffuser and ring for a 22.

Nice work Walt!

I guess you could use one of those Hunsaker griddle plates as a make-shift diffuser too.

I have a Slow N Sear for my 22" kettle that I also use in my 26". I load that sucker up and keep the grate flapped open to pile more coals on it. That works well for me for smoking pork butts, briskets, ribs....

Guys, thanks for all the support that you gave me in this post on building the Glen Blue smoker I put together. However, the people who really deserve the praise are the people on this forum that share their ideas for the rest of us to look at, consider, and possibly adopt. Every idea I put into my Glen Blue Smoker came from someone else and they were all useful. I really enjoyed collecting the ideas and putting them into practice on my smoker. So, thank you to everyone that I “stole” from.

I am starting a new post about how to set up the charcoal in the smoker to get the maximum burn. I hope that you will visit that and offer your ideas. Thanks.

Last year, my local grill store got in a Weber Summit Charcoal and I looked it over as possibly being my barbecue machine. However, it was $1500 and I just didn’t think that I could justify that kind of expense for something that I would use two or three times a month. I have a Performer that I absolutely love, and Weber says the WSC could replace my Performer, which would have made such a large expense easier to justify, but I just couldn’t see spending the money to find out. My cheapness won out, I guess.

So, I began to read through the forums on here and I saw a lot of posts that talked about ways to make a 26 inch kettle into a cheaper Summit Charcoal. When Weber came out with the Glen Blue 26 inch kettle, I ordered one and began to implement some of the ideas I had gleaned from this forum.

One of the disadvantages of the 22’ kettle is how close the charcoal grate is to the cooking grate. The WSC solved this by putting more distance between the two grates. Someone on here had used a charcoal grate from a WSM to gain some distance on the 26 inch. So, I got a charcoal grate from a WSM to use in the Glen Blue and that grate drops the charcoal about 2 and a half inches below the normal 26 inch charcoal grate. So, distance gained between fire and cooking grate.

View attachment 19255

Another feature of the WSC is that it has a heat diffuser located about half way between the charcoal and the cooking grate to prevent the infrared of the lit charcoal from causing hot spots in the meat being cooked. Several people on here had made diffusers out of pizza pans. I decided to try a different approach. I bought a thin sheet of metal to use as a heat diffuser but it needed a base to support it. So, I took an old cooking grate I had from my Performer, flipped it upside down, and placed the handles of the grate on the pegs on the side of the kettle that normally hold the cooking grate. I added a couple of “L” shaped brackets on two sides so they would rest on the other two metal grate straps. This would let the old cooking grate be stable and not tip.

View attachment 19254

Then I cut the metal sheet in a circle of 23” diameter and laid it on top of the upside down cooking grate. Now my diffuser was about 4 inches above the WSM charcoal grate which is closer to half way between the coals and the cooking grate. View attachment 19256

I can then put my drip pan and water pan on top of the diffuser plate. This diffuser set up will also allow me to use the standard Weber charcoal baskets if I wish.

View attachment 19257

The one defect in my Glen Blue was the top damper. When it came, the top half of the top damper didn’t follow the curve of the top so it stuck up about 1/8th of an inch from the top. It was enough that the top two vent holes could not be closed. So, I employed another idea I had learned here. I cut a dowel into 4 pieces and I use them to plug the holes on the top vent. Not only does it solve the problem with the defective damper, but it is a much more precise way to determine how much of the top vent is open. When I put in 3 plugs, it is 1/4 open and I don’t have to guess. I also put marks for 1/4, 1/2, etc. on the bottom damper.

View attachment 19258

Controlling temperature on the Glen Blue is not a problem. I can pretty much set it and forget it. Saturday I set up the Glen Blue to barbecue some ribs. I put in my coals and opened the top and bottom vents to get the cook going. I got distracted and it was 30 minutes before I got back to the grill. The cooking grate temperature was 260 degrees with both vents open so I closed the bottom vent to 1/4 and put three pegs in the top vent. In about 15 minutes the temperature was down to 227 degrees and it stayed around 230 degrees for the next 2 hours and 15 minutes without me having to touch the kettle. Then I opened the bottom to 1/2 and took out one peg to open the top to 1/2. The kettle stayed close to 250 degrees for the remaining two hours of the cook.

Probably the most surprising smoke to me was a couple of prime strip steaks I did a couple of weeks ago. I smoked the two strip steaks for about an hour and 15 minutes at around 225 degrees. The Glen Blue had no trouble holding a consistent temperature around that mark. After smoking, I took the two steaks and used my Performer to sear them for about a minute on each side. For years, I have grilled steaks on my Performer and they were delicious, but my wife and I both agreed that the two strips smoked on the Glen Blue were the most tender and most flavorful steaks we have ever had. I can’t wait to try that again.

The Glen Blue has succeeded as a smoking machine beyond my wildest expectations. The pegs in the top vent and the markings of the bottom vent let me be fairly precise in setting up the grill for smoking. The ideas I have gotten from this forum have helped have many very successful smokes of Boston Butts and ribs on the Glen Blue.
Walt,
I wanted to come back to this thread and just say thanks! This post lead me to start to think about how to turn my Master Touch into a smoking machine. I really planned to make the Tom Horsman diffuser posted in this thread, but I found a aftermarket ready system and after two cooks I am in love with it. Thanks for pushing me outside of what I thought was possible with the kettle!

Back